Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The original version of this post went missing on the server and never actually posted. Now I'm having to try to remember what I wrote = no idea. So I will start again.

I have two male rats, Henry and Jasper. Henry is a brown hooded and Jasper is beige; I don't know colouring lingo other than the hooded part. When I got them 6 months ago, the pet store employee said they were about four months old. These are my first real pets (because a goldfish and a cockatiel that hates you don't count as real pets to a child who can't touch them). It has been an incredible learning experience having rats!! The most incredible thing I've learned is that I am not allergic to them like I first thought when I got scratched by their sharp claws; I have asymptomatic dermatographism. Basically, my skin reacts to every nick and scratch, regardless of what causes it. This means that every time I finish playing with them, I have to treat each "wound" with hydrogen peroxide and anti-itch cream.

I love how rats fit into my budget (vet bills not included), don't make enough noise to bother the neighbours, and someday will be affectionate.

My Google history is full of questions about rats. Most of my questions lead me here so that is why I joined.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm here for the same reason pjhugs lol being I've just got my first two rats I need a place with experienced owners to communicate with

·
Registered
105 Posts
Happy you found how awesome rats are! I just did myself. I've had mine for less than a year and they still amaze me every day by their individual personalities and intelligence ^_^
(Maybe try clipping or filing their nails to help with the scratches, that sounds like a pain.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi spysquid,

Unfortunately my boys are not tame enough yet for me to clip their nails. For now I have to rely on their lava ledges and them biting their own nails.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I have the same skin problem and having rats, lizards and dogs really doesn't help lol but you learn to deal with it, as you obviously have. On top of that I live in a very dry place so EVERYTHING breaks my skin since it's so dry. I'm glad you found this site, it really is a wonderful place and I'm happy you're doing the responsible thing learning about your pets :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts