Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a first timer and only got one from Petsmart. My new baby is not doing so hotshot has recently started pulling her hair out so we let her out of her cage and was doing really well when she started eating the carpet I would snap my fingers like I do with my dog and my kids (don't judge my parenting) and she stopped but she was doing so good then she started biting me out of the blue. I put her back in her cage. I need to know if she'll attack a new rat? Did I wait too long to get her a companion?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
She definitely needs a friend. Rats can get very depressed being alone. Her barbering herself is likely related to that :(

No one can tell u for sure if she will accept another rat. But she likely would. I've found most girls are very open to intros. Do a proper intro. There may be bickering but as long as there is no blood they will be good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's a proper intro? I've done a lot of research or tried to I keep finding conflicting information. I'm horrified of getting it wrong and hurting my new friend!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
There are two stickies in the behavior section that may help you.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
There are a bunch of ways to do intros. I like to use a bath. Give them all a bath together. It seems to bond them through the experience and they are all nice and clean smelling. I've heard of ppl using things like dabs of chocolate on their backs so they bath each other helps too.

Make sure your cage is scrubbed clean as well as everything in it. It should have no smell of your current rat so it is a nice neutral place and there shouldn't be territorial issues. Getting two food bowls, water bottles also helps (in different areas).

Again there may be bickering and some fighting as they sort stuff out. But as long as no injuries or blood you are fine.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
My rat hates her bath it's a weekly torture session! Is that normal?
Yes. You really should almost never need to bathe your rats, they are self cleaning like cats lol. Most do not like baths and bathing them tends to stress them out too much.

But it works for intros because the experience can bond them.

If they get dirty it is better to use like babywipes to clean them

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like to use the bathroom for intros ...but without the water!
The bathtub (again without water!!!) is sucha strange and unknown place for both of them that nobody gets territorial so it ends up being a great place to meet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts