Rat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with much thought I made the decision to breed two of my rats (from completely different genetic lines). They are sweet natured and even tempered, and should produce wonderful offspring.... Only they've been together three weeks, and she still isn't getting pregnant. I've noticed her getting slightly wider at the hips this week, but no further fattening or growth. I'm feeding them well, handling them regularly, but nothing seems to be happening.

Any suggestions?

(Posts criticising my decision are really not helpful, just the facts please)

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
This forum doesn't support breeding and it is against the rules to discuss it.

Please do not breed without a long history of research and knowledge & the pedigree of both your rats. So much can go wrong. Being sweet natured is NOT a good enough reason to breed. If you do not know their history u could be breeding health issues into the babies, aggression, and bad temperament even if the parents are sweet. There are some very scary and devastating health issues out there. Can you afford vet care for 20 babies? The mom? Watch the mom die if she doesn't make it through labor?

Do u even know how old your rats are? There is a definite window where breeding is safer. I am thinking if they are not getting pregnant you are not in that window and the universe is telling u to stop.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Please utilize the report feature of the forum to report posts like this that go against forum rules. As the forum rules link states, "backseat moderation" is also prohibited. In the future, please click the report button and allow the moderators and admins to handle these types of threads.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
And it's also worth saying that on a public forum, you don't get to be picky on what types of responses you get. If you're not open to all advice, even if they're things you don't want to hear, this isn't the place for you. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.