Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 little girls who are about 5 weeks old I handraised them from about 10 days old(before there eyes were opened). They are fantastic little girls,loving,sweet and very personable. However I am worried because they have refused both the HT blocks and the Oxbow Young Rat and Mouse. They have very little interest in the Rat Lady Diet as well. They will eat any fruit or veggie offered,plain cooked meats cooked and sprouted grains and lentils and love baby oatmeal mixed with formula. I have tried soak the blocks in formula,offering them whole and grinding the blocks and mixing with formula or baby food......nothing
How terrible is it if they dont eat rat blocks if they get a varied diet?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Perhaps you should try feeding regal rat and just supplementing protein. Regal Rat is still a kibble, but it's formulated differently and they may actually like it.

Another thing to try, however mean it sounds, is to stop offering good foods until they eat their lab blocks, or limit their fresh food. They won't starve themselves. Don't let them go too long, of course, but tough love helps sometimes.

·
Registered
270 Posts
IIRC the Oxbow bag recommends mixing with their previous food and slowly increasing the ratio of Oxbow until they're settled with it, but I guess that doesn't help if they never eat any.

Maybe try soaking it in water until it's mush... Nibbles loves them like that.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Maybe try soaking it in some kind of juice? You'd probably want to make sure it's not a super-processed kind with tons of sugar, but if they are into fruit maybe an all-natural fruit juice? Or pedialyte? I know you already tried this with formula, but it might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Speak to Isamurat, she has an excellent homemade diet that you should look into.

·
Registered
46 Posts
my little one completely refused any food that wasn't her usual baby cereal or formula, so i crushed up some rat pellets (from Nibbler Pet Rat and Mouse Mix) i just fished out all the pellets and squashed them with a spoon, then mixed them with milk formula into a paste. she loved it! the next day she was crunching up seeds, pellets, ect. now she'll eat anything, as long as she tries it with formula first :)

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
i can't say i blame babies who have grown up with a lovely varied diet turning there nose up at pellets. Mine would refuse pellets too lol. pay off the issue will be that babies learn what is safe off there mother or other adult rats. They also won't be used to hard food so much either.

i would probably start of by cutting down on there wet food and veg and offering some dried grains alongside. You could make a simple short term mix from mixed grains from a supermarket, some low sugar breakfast cereals, some seeds and a good quality cat kibble (if your interested in this let me know and i will give you some general guidelines) or try then on a rat and mouse muesli (higher than ideal protien for adults but fine for a short term baby diet, i think they are all pretty horrible quality over there though). If they stay getting used to eating a mix you can either transition then onto decent blocks or making a good long term home made mix.

You could also move them in woth your adults or add an older cage mate or two to the group. They will help teach them what's safe to eat

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would be far more interested in a good quality,long term home prepared mix. I love the idea of being able to control the ingredients and only feeding human quality foods

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
The best place to start then is to have a read of the dry mix bit on my website. It is aimed at UK ingredients but you can make it from much easier available stuff. The key will be to find some good grains you can get hold of (try and make rice and barley into 2 of those), i would aim for 3 or 4 min. Then have a look at protien sources, a good quality natural dog kibble is generally the best.

If you read through that and look at the different categories of ingredients then look around and see what you can find locally.

Our worth remembering that not all pet foods are bad, they can be very useful if you can pick high quality ones with good ingredients as they have added vitamins, this can really help make a mix more successful. It's possible without but it's easier to maintain good condition with one or two added vit ingredients on top of the processed cereals

·
Registered
953 Posts
I use Isamurat instructions loosely. We don't have a lot of the rabbit foods and such available here that would work. Instead I add a little high quality dog food, parrot food and human fortified cereals (low sugar and salt) to make sure I have enough vitamins. The rest is a large variety of organic grains, seeds, dried herbs, vegies and fruit, whole grain pasta, a little unsweetened coconut flakes, a little seaweed (they love it, but I keep the amounts down due to salt). I use very little of the dried veggies or fruit, although mine all love both frozen and fresh veggies they don't seem super keen on dried ones.

When I cook meals for the family I will put aside things that I will add unsuitable seasonings or sauces to. such as if I make some brown rice that I will be putting a rich sauce on, after I cook it I put some aside for the pets prior to adding the sauce. We are big salad eaters-before I add dressings, salami, or other not suitable things, I set aside for the pets. I do a lot of stews-these are pretty much all good-I just get a bowl out for the pets before I add salt or parmesean. (usually a little of either beef or chicken-a huge amount of a variety of veggies and a little beans, rice or pasta-basically minestrone)

I make smoothies for deserts here which are just frozen berries, unsweetened yogurt and a handful of walnuts-I share this with the rats and conure as well.

It makes it easier for me to have their main dry mix and then just share our meals with them for their fresh/cooked foods.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts