Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Phyllis is 10-12 weeks old, and has spent the last 4 weeks alone. I am getting a foster trio of...1 older female and 2 - 1 yr old males. They have been together for a long time.

My rescue wants me to introduce Phyllis to the trio. I am worried that 1) she is young and will have no one her age to play with and 2) she has been alone for so long that she won't know how to join the group. It would break my heart if she got roughed up or not accepted. I'm reading everything I can on intros and it seems we should really have at least one girl her age in this group, but that's not going to happen :(

Also, she is still so new that she doesn't trust me enough to take her out of the cage. How will I do intros in a neutral area if she hasn't gotten that far in her socialization? Does she need to trust me before I can do the intros? Phyllis has only been with me 3 days, we are still getting to know each other. She's lovely, quick and playful and really really wants interaction. I spend 1.5 hours a day sitting with her and talking, feeding, playing.

Oh bother...I am worrying so much about her. Any advice?

·
Registered
Freddy, Alfredo, Juniper, Figgy, Dobby
821 Posts
Hmmm... I am not that big of a help but maybe work on socializing her to you first... and then the intros. Maybe someone else here can help you with the age issues? Im not sure about that.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I am spending as much time as I can with her, 30-45 minutes 3x a day. She squeaks softly if I try to touch her, but otherwise does not seem afraid. This morning when I tried to pet her, she didn't squeak, she just sat up and put both front paws on my hands as if to say "Nope, not doing that yet". ;)

Reactions: TwilxghtRat

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Shadow <3 do you have any suggestions? I've watched many of your videos, and it seems you've done a lifetime's worth of training with your ratties :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts