Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found small bumps under my youngest boy's chin! As a keeper of reptiles and arachnids I am very aware and paranoid about mites. So of course I checked him over and found nothing. He does have a cage mate they play quite a bit and are still establishing dominance. It doesn't -seem- like a bite, but I see nothing. Do rats get blemishes?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Is there any way you could get a pic? I know it's an awkward spot, but maybe if you scruff him with one hand and take the pic with the other? It kind of sounds like either excessive scratching (by himself) or grooming (by a cagemate). Are there scabs?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't gotten a clear look at them, as he is still pretty young and squirms. Maybe I can get a look when he's resting

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
It could even be an allergy to something. My girl Zelda turned out to be sensitive to the laundry detergent I had been using and got little bumps on her neck.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They have actually went down. I suspect my guys to be sensitive to cigarette smoke (my roommate smokes in there room). Could that give hives? Or should I look at food /treats?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Hmm, the smoke would cause respriatory disease, but I have not heard of it causing skin bumps before.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I'm thinking the smoke is why they had little sneezes. I'm not sure about these bumps but there are similar threads? Can rats get seasonal allergies? I'm going to try to get a better look at him and maybe pictures

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Not sure about seasonal allergies, but my vet assured me they can be sensitive to certain substances such as smoke, perfumes, and chemicals that may be in detergent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts