Rat Forum banner

Confession (Oops)

2K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  ♡BøbåRāt♡ 
#1 ·
Welllll, I feel bad saying this but my girlfriend and I were picking up some more toys and general supplies at one of our local (small) pet stores (not the one I posted about in the rant section a little bit ago). I think you all have an idea of where this is going... There was a lone female rat who was a surrender from an owner who was moving. She was all alone, LOVES people, and now she is home being quarantined by herself. She is also on pregnancy watch because it sounds like there is a possibility that she was kept will males in her previous home. She is likely 6-9 months, absolutely fearless, and obsessed with her quarantine cage & new people.

I feel bad when unexpected rats come home but thankfully we can offer her a good home, get her to the vet if she needs it, and if we end up with kittens, we can raise them and rehome them, so it is not the end of the world. That being said, I did want to be transparent about our new friend & lack of planning for her.

Here are some photos of the new (nameless) girl! (My apologizes if this should go in the section for introducing rats).

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

See less See more
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
#3 ·
Thank you! We are crossing our fingers that she doesn’t have any surprises in store for us. She is already such a sweetie and I feel so bad that she’s all alone for now. We’ve named her Bear and we are hoping that she passes quarantine & baby watch with no hitches so she can have some friends soon.

#8 ·
Haha, thank you! On one hand I would love to see some baby rats grow up, on the other hand, I have my hands full with work (still adjusting from college to full time work) and I don’t think I should keep any babies if there are any— which will be hard for me... so I have mixed feelings with either outcome, right now we are just kind of waiting and seeing what Bear has in store for us!

#10 ·
Okay, update on Bear: she is SUPER full of energy and her abdomen feels more full than it was a week ago. It is a bit firm and when she is in your hand you can REALLY feel her tummy and we’ve held some of our other girls to see if they feel that way and they just. Don’t...

We are working on a bin cage to move her into just in case she has babies. We have had a pregnancy scare with a rescue rat before so we are trying to avoid making too many plans and such but she definitely looks like she could have some secrets in her, lol. Oh boy! Either way, she is a super silly and sweet girl and while she wasn’t expected, I’m glad to have her in my life.

Here is a photo of her from today (the only decent photo of her from many):

#11 ·
Okay, update on Bear: she is SUPER full of energy and her abdomen feels more full than it was a week ago. It is a bit firm and when she is in your hand you can REALLY feel her tummy and we’ve held some of our other girls to see if they feel that way and they just. Don’t...

We are working on a bin cage to move her into just in case she has babies. We have had a pregnancy scare with a rescue rat before so we are trying to avoid making too many plans and such but she definitely looks like she could have some secrets in her, lol. Oh boy! Either way, she is a super silly and sweet girl and while she wasn’t expected, I’m glad to have her in my life.

Here is a photo of her from today (the only decent photo of her from many):
View attachment 305466
She is SUPER preg! You have 1-3 days!

#13 ·
No kicks but I really won’t be surprised if she is pregnant! It’s hard not to stress about it but it sounds like she had a litter previously (she was surrendered with her “mate” and a young rat who was her baby, unknown age though) so hopefully if she is pregnant again that means it will all go smoothly. The bin cage is just about ready and we will be moving her into there in case she is pregnant.

#18 · (Edited)
No babies yet but she’s still pretty round & her belly feels different from any of our other girls. I think she still has a little bit to go if she is pregnant— she was dropped off at the petstore May 26th or so, so she may have another week or so. That being said, she is not happy at all in her maternity cage and is constantly trying to break free... I hope if she has babies she has them soon so they can grow up and she can have a more enriching cage!

Here’s a photo of her from yesterday, you can really see the way her belly is rounded.

#20 ·
Phew! We have had her for 23 days and so I think it is safe to say she is not pregnant! Now it is time to start intros with our smaller group of 3 rats. I think she’ll get along well with them— she’s done great with them during out of cage time/neutral space & one of those girls is getting old (she has a quality of life vet check next week as she has become very skinny :()... it will good to have another girl in that group.

#23 ·
Well, Bear was starting fights yesterday during out of cage time. I’m hoping we can figure it out and get her to mix in with some of our girls because right now is not a good time to have a problem rat as I can’t stay and keep an eye on them all day due to work... Fingers crossed that tonight goes better, if it doesn’t after some more work then I’ll see if she can get a quick look over at Bee’s appointment to rule out physical causes of her having issues.

#24 ·
Sigh... during out of cage time, she got into a rat ball with one of our other girls (Spoon) the littermate of the rat she was BFFs with last night. Spoon and Bear both ended up with cuts and or bites and were bleeding even though my girlfriend broke it up quickly (3-5 seconds TOPS). They’re okay but oof... back to the drawing board in the morning, it was a long day before this, lol.

#26 ·
I hope we can work it out too! The current plan is to try to get Napkin and Bear bonded as a pair, though we may have to rehome them if they can’t get together with either of our groups (we tried including Spoon so we could split the double critter nation) due to lack of adequate spacing. But I would at least feel better that Bear would have a friend that way...

Bear is sometimes great with the other rats but if she gets into a tussle with another rat, she then gets EXTREMELY defensive and can’t be around other rats the rest of the night, at least from what we have seen so far. And this is in neutral space... And at the moment, the rats are at my girlfriend’s house where they get more supervision but soon they will be moving to my house and I am working full time so I am worried that she could get into a fight while I’m away and have something horrible happen. It’s hard and we are trying to figure out what will be best for her in the long run.

If we keep trying and she doesn’t make progress, I’ll reach out to a rat rescue for advice and go from there.

#27 ·
Welllll, I feel bad saying this but my girlfriend and I were picking up some more toys and general supplies at one of our local (small) pet stores (not the one I posted about in the rant section a little bit ago). I think you all have an idea of where this is going... There was a lone female rat who was a surrender from an owner who was moving. She was all alone, LOVES people, and now she is home being quarantined by herself. She is also on pregnancy watch because it sounds like there is a possibility that she was kept will males in her previous home. She is likely 6-9 months, absolutely fearless, and obsessed with her quarantine cage & new people.

I feel bad when unexpected rats come home but thankfully we can offer her a good home, get her to the vet if she needs it, and if we end up with kittens, we can raise them and rehome them, so it is not the end of the world. That being said, I did want to be transparent about our new friend & lack of planning for her.

Here are some photos of the new (nameless) girl! (My apologizes if this should go in the section for introducing rats).

View attachment 305398
View attachment 305399
View attachment 305400
inhale she looks so cute and smoll she looks like a toiny chocy chip! :3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.