Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I was sure I wanted 2 females until today when I went into my local pet shop and there were 4 boy rats for adoption they had been moved from another pet shop because they didn't sell, she said they were 10 weeks but I think they are older, I really like 2 of the boys there and cant stop thing about them, but I wanted girls ! Im a little worried about the smell of boy rats and the buck grease, which I know females don't smell as much and they don't have the grease, also females don't wee on every thing like bucks, after your opinion please :)

·
Registered
955 Posts
My boys are 6 months and I've not seen any buck grease, nor do I feel they smell anymore than the girls I once owned. They do leave the odd puddle when out, nothing major though amd they don't pee on me. I just keep baby wipes on hand for quick clean ups. Buying a cheap throw for chucking over any sofas/beds you want to protect works too. My boys are very active and silly, but they enjoy sitting on my lap for a neck massage too, and I love how big and cuddly they are compared to girls. Girls are great too, and I loved my two does but I'm totally converted to bucks now.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Females can't scent mark just as much as males :) it really depends on the rat! After keeping all boys and accidentally ending up with a girl I could tell instantly she was female. Girls are so much faster and just more active, I personally prefer my calmer boys. I haven't noticed any buck grease on my babies but my previous Rex boys had a bit, I barely noticed it. My boys are so relaxed and kissy I love their squishy cuddles! Thinking practically as well girls are prone to more tumours etc in the future which can end up costing a lot of money, it's worth considering spaying girls if you do decide to go for them. I do love my crazy little lady though :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Females can't scent mark just as much as males :) it really depends on the rat! After keeping all boys and accidentally ending up with a girl I could tell instantly she was female. Girls are so much faster and just more active, I personally prefer my calmer boys. I haven't noticed any buck grease on my babies but my previous Rex boys had a bit, I barely noticed it. My boys are so relaxed and kissy I love their squishy cuddles! Thinking practically as well girls are prone to more tumours etc in the future which can end up costing a lot of money, it's worth considering spaying girls if you do decide to go for them. I do love my crazy little lady though :D
I went with females, because I was concerned that males would be smellier. Tho..I wish the girls were more cuddly. I have a large enough cage that I could separate males from females..how do you go about that?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I own both males and females. Although my males are all neutered at some point they were still intact. Compared to males I found that females mark just as much. My girl Lynn scent marks me almost as soon as I let her out of the cage. If I were you I would go on personality rather than gender. I've had girls who were a little laid back and males, such as Pastoolio, who are always active and want to do things. It really depends on the individual rat. =P

·
Registered
444 Posts
I went with females, because I was concerned that males would be smellier. Tho..I wish the girls were more cuddly. I have a large enough cage that I could separate males from females..how do you go about that?
My girl is spayed so I don't have to worry about separating them :) I also meant to say that females can scent mark not can't, typo oops. I wish my girl was more cuddly but as soon as I pick her up she tries to leap from my hand/shoulder/head haha. I know a lot of people keep females and males separately but I can't help there!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts