Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as most of you know my ruben hasnt had the best life hes been ill for most of it but ive given him the best quality of life possible, i was cleaning him the other day cheacking his skin and what not and theres a black kind of wart behind his ear, its the same size as a human wart but its black i dont think its causing him any pain but was just wondering if i should take him to the vets about it any help would be very much appricated! thanks x

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Can you take a pic? I have never heard of rats getting warts like humans do. I would worry it was something else. I have some things in mind, but I would prefer to see a pic instead. :)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i've seen similar on hamsters and i think it's a type of benign tumor. i'm sure it could be any number of other things, but that's my first thought -- kind of a melanoma. it's up to you on whether you want to do anything about it, if your ratty has had a lot of other problems to deal with and it's not hurting him, then maybe leaving it wouldn't be so bad for a while.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do you have other pets in the house? It isn't a tick is it? I've seen stranger things! This year has been a bad tick year in PA.

·
Registered
194 Posts
my boy had an infected mite bite type of thing, and the black lump was just a lot of dried blood. it appeared over night. when the vet removed it there was quite a big hole near his ear. she was convinced he'd had a fight with another rat but he hadn't as was living on his own (i'd just rescued him). just another example of what it could be. he has had them 3 times now and the girls never have even though they are kept in the same conditions. very strange.

*edit to clarify - the infection was where he was itching the mite behind his ear.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it dropped off :O i didnt get him out for two days as each time i tryed he bite me so i left the cage open and he chose not to come out, anyway i creeped up on him while he was in the cage (if he sees me he trys to play hide and seek) and managed to get a look and its gone theres a small scab where it was! his health seems to be ok now cept a lot of sneezing today but im sure it will pass :D thanks all xxx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts