Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am almost positive I will be getting my 11 yr old son a rat for his bday. I am going to the MSPCA in the next few says to meet one they have for adoption. He's a year old, very social and loves to be held. His picture is of him playing a little guitar!! Any advice is very much appreciated!!!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hi there! Excited for you and your son!

It's recommended that you at least get 2 ratties. (Not really anymore effort than just cleaning up after 1.)
Rats enjoy a fellow fur-companion to cuddle/groom. They would be much happier with a same sex friend.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow! When I was his age I remember wondering why anyone would have a rat as a pet! Well, look at me now, I guess. Anyway, I'm excited for your son. I'm a new rat owner but my boys have been wonderful, and they do make great pets. Last thing; I would definitely agree with AdequateRat and say you should get 2, as it's not much more cleaning and better for the rats. (Same sex of course, unless you want little ones running around!)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Rats are great companions. I agree with the others, two rats at least; so they don't get bored while you are out or sleeping, and so they can do ratty things together (like grooming and talking and playing) Just make sure you have a nice airy cage (no plastic hamster cages), plenty of toys (boxes, bowls of paper towel shreddings with treat/toys hidden inside, blocks, things to hang up, hammocks, you can get really creative!) They are super smart and can be trained to do tricks and games.
Just remember it may take a few days for your new buddy to get used to you. If you don't get litter mates, you will have to introduce the two rats a few times before you put them in together.
Best of luck <3

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Congrats on your decision to give rats a try! They make superior pets for children, in my experience.

As stated above, rats do a lot better in pairs and/or trios. This may be difficult when adopting a rat that has spent most of its life alone, though. Your best bet would be to search for a pair of babies after adopting your big guy. Adult rats tend to accept babies more readily, and staggering your adoptions helps when ratties inevitably begin to pass away.

Your little guy sounds like a perfect start. It's wonderful to find a rat that is already socialized.

Another VERY important thing to keep in mind is that rats are deceivingly expensive pets. Vet visits will absolutely be required at some point as infections are pretty inevitable, and these can get pricey depending on your location.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts