Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I seem to have a contact allergy with my daughter's rats. I love playing with them, and I'd love to entertain them while she's at school. But after just a couple of minutes, my skin gets terribly itchy and red wherever I've had contact with them. We even tried right after they had a bath, but it seems to make no difference. I have to wash thoroughly and put cortisone cream on to stop the itching.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Any treatment you can think of? Taking an antihistamine beforehand doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

Amethyst

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
A lot of us suffer this. Generally, it's the urine on their paws. Covering up, washing up after, and wiping their feet with a baby wipe before they come on you should help some. I have to wear a hoodie when I play with my rats.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I have contact and general allergies/asthma allergies to my rats. I like to keep my boys toe nails short, give their paws a quick wipe with a baby wipe before holding them, and I always wear long sleeves. Antihistamines may help you too.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have awful allergies to my ratties too, it shows up red first and then turns into white raised circles wherever their feet touched my skin...not pretty. I just wait until the play session is over and then wash thoroughly with soap and water and dab a little sudocrem on the spots. Sometimes they scar or bleed but i've always had kind of severe allergic reaction to things when i think about it. Sudocrem helps with the itching but i've not found anything more effective as of yet, when i wear long sleeves my rats just climb up them! Haha

1 - 4 of 4 Posts