Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently found a new pet store in my area (courtesy of my mom) called Pet Culture. I went in the other night to look at their bedding prices (I picked up some Aspen since that's what they've been using at the shelter, in addition to Kaytee paper bedding and towels) and just about walked out with the 2 siamese boys they had in one of their tanks. The only thing that stopped me was my brother lol.

AND THEN! I went to Mr Pets to return a carrier and a wheel I'd purchased and took a quick look to see if they had any little furry buddies. They had 4 little youngins in the bin, looked like dark brown/black hooded furbuddies. I wanted to take them home too. I think the cage I have could fit more than 2 rats... but I don't know how much my new landlord (who is one of my friends, but I don't want to stress that bond) would like that.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I know that feeling too. I already have six. 5 from a local rescue and one from Craig's list, saving from being snake food. I find myself often convincing myself I don't need more rats. But I continually surf Craig's list, pet finders. Pet stores for small flurries in need of rescuing. I have so far talked myself out of anymore, however....I have a spare DCN in my garage and think probably at some point I will lose to myself and come home with more rats. I am sure there will be little rattles convincing me with pleading eyes and I will feel compelled to bring them home.

·
Registered
908 Posts
You're correct. I started out with 3, got 4 more (rescue pups).. When most of those passed on, I purchased several more from a breeder. I now have two DCNs (one with males, one with females). The most important thing to consider about getting new ones is quarantine and that any one that you add could potentially endanger your other rats if they are carrying something .. viruses, mites, lice, etc. Just have a plan and a quarantine cage setup away from your colony if you do decide to bring some home. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It won't be for quite a while if I do decide to get more. I just think rats are so terribly cute (especially certain colours/ages) and want them all to have a good home and fresh food/water/air and lots of huggles from someone who loves them <3

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
I tend to convince myself, whether right or wrong, that I can do more with fewer rats. Basically, that I can give them more attention, more training and give them a better life. It's basically the same theory that supports my having only one child.

I have a friend that was a real life hoarder, and aside from a particular weakness, she did give her rats and mice... hundreds of them... the best care she could... And I knew a fellow that had 11 kids who loved them all... I even knew a couple that fostered and adopted 109 children that built a huge house with a round bathroom door to look like a giant washing machine and installed a waterfall in their living room to make their house a kid friendly adventure.... So everybody is different.

But still, I do believe that if I had 10 more kids, they wouldn't get the same amount of attention as the one I have... and if I had 5 rats they wouldn't have the same lifestyle as the two we have.

It's entirely up to you... but it's a slippery slope. I've been sorely tempted to adopt more rats... just one or two more wouldn't be that much of a hardship and it might double my fun. But then I remind myself that rats aren't like shoes, each one is a serious responsibility that needs food, care, love, medical care, and one on one personal attention to become the best most competent rat that she can. (And yes, I have a friend with over 100 pairs of shoes too.)

You really need to decide up front how many rats you can handle so that one more doesn't lower the standard of life for the ones you already have. Getting evicted might substantially lower your current rats standard of living, for example. So yes, we'll most likely adopt more rats when our girls pass over the rainbow bridge, but until then we have two that we love and cherish and do the best we can for.... Two is our limit, no matter how tempted I am to adopt just one more.... Even if I would love to have 100 little fur balls scurrying around the house sometimes... In my case, I also have to deal with a rat phobic wife and a hundred rats loose in the house would pretty much result in an immediate divorce, which would absolutely mean a lower standard of living for everyone. There are a lot of considerations when it comes to family planning, it's best never to do them when you are in a pet shop in front of a cage full of rats that need a good forever home....

Best luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts