Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I have 2 rats currently. Oreo and Carma. Anyway, I have been suffering with GGMR *Gotta Get More Rats*. I come to you for help. You see, I am wanting to get another rat. A blue dumbo rat from http://www.okcrattery.com/litters.html
my mom wont let me. I need some ways to convince her why I should get another girl rat. Both of my rats are girls and I have been craving a new rat but don't know how to do introductions. Help!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
All those litters are from 2006?

·
Registered
64 Posts
First of all, I think the rattery you mentioned is out of buisiness. But if you do get a new rat, it needs to be quarantined for a minimum of 3 weeks so you arent inviting any new sicknesses into your mischief. Preferably the quaranting area should be in a different house, but if you cant do that, put it in the furthest room away from your current rats as possible. Then over the span of weeks you check the rat to make sure it doesnt have any illnesses and if it doesn't after the three week period, its pretty safe to begin introductions, but if it does show signs of illness, you need to treat the rat for the illness, then keep it in quarantine for an extra 3 weeks(minimum) and see if it flares up again. Ratguide.com has a pretty good archive on quarantining. As for the way to get your mom to let you get more rats, maybe she has a reason for not wanting you to have anymore. You should sit down and talk with her about why she doesnt want any more rats and then you talk to her about why you want more rats. Hope I helped!

Savannah

·
Registered
997 Posts
If you already have two rats, and your mother doesn't want you to have any more, why not just respect her wishes? Not bothering her about it will show you care and are mature enough to accept that you are not alowed to have more than two, and responsible enough to be able to take care of the two you already have.

Personally, I have four rats and they are a big hassle for me. I've got one cage-aggressive rat who's learned to accept me but bit my sister, and I am giving him to someone who has time and money to rehabilitate him. I have a summer job where I'm working 8 hours a day, 5 days a week to be able to pay for the upcoming neuter and future spays to keep my rats healthy.

Your mother is probably the one paying for everything, so I'm just gonna suggest you respect that she doesn't want to risk having to pay for any emergency vet trips that can be very expensive.

And if you really, really want that rat, get a job and pay for everything. That may change your mom's mind pretty quick as she will see you have the determination, maturity, and responsibility to get a job and pay for your rats. But, if/when you get a job, you should still wait until you have a good buildup of savings before you get another rat.

As far as introductions go: one step at a time, kiddo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts