Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Cookie & Noodle
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My brother and father have recently been tested positive for Coronavirus, and they both have petted and cuddled with our two rats very recently. I am afraid that they might have been infected, and if so, how sick will they get from it?

The only thing I have noticed from one of the rats, I haven't figured out which one yet, is that one of them has had a bit of diarrhea for a really short period, this was on a day where we aren't sure if the virus was already in our home. I have no clue if this might have anything to do with it, but furthermore, they don't seem to show much. They don't sneeze more often than usual, and I haven't seen anything irregular in their diet.

·
Registered
Cookie & Noodle
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is useful but doesn't go much into detail about the rat's health. I don't even know if they can get sick. I will make sure not to interact with them much and only put them in their play space so they can run around on their own.

·
Registered
638 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think it's highly unlikely they caught it from touching your rats. I'm sure they touched many other surfaces throughout the time period and were possibly around other people who are a proven point of infection.
Anyway - here's what I found on the CDC site -

"At this time, there is no evidence that animals play a significant role in spreading SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, to people."
I think shes worried the father and brother gave it to her rats not the other way around.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I don't think that the rats would get sick.

·
Super Moderator
353 Posts
Rats cant get covid from humans lol

human to animal transmission in airborne disease particularly is quite rare as I understand, there are some notable examples though

1 - 10 of 10 Posts