Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been calling vets in the area to see which vets will treat rats and what the costs for spaying and neutering rats are. I've found one vet that will neuter for $40 but won't spay, and another that will spay for $95 but won't neuter.

Are these prices high/normal/low? What do you guys pay for spay/neutering?

Edit: And I just found someone who will spay pet rats for $256.34... they actually said the .34 in the email. goodness.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was quoted $185 per rat for neutering. Needless to say both my guys still have their goolies.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
when it comes to medical care keep one thing in mind

cheap is not always best

This is a major surgery, you need to consider experience & success way more than cost

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I realize that cheap is not always best. It's just that price will determine which gender I get. I want to to get either two males and a female or two females and a male. I will get the male/s neutered, but if I can't find a good vet at a reasonable price for the females, I might not get females at all, and I'd really like to have both for the different energy levels and personalities. (I know, all rats are different and such, but generally speaking, females=higher energy, males=squish lap rats.)

The vets I've been checking into were recommended to me by the shelter I'll be getting the rats from, so I would hope they would know which vets to refer me too.

·
Registered
549 Posts
A1APassion said:
when it comes to medical care keep one thing in mind

cheap is not always best
on the same note, expensive is not always best either, the quality of the vet is whats important

·
Registered
500 Posts
Katherose said:
and I'd really like to have both for the different energy levels and personalities. (I know, all rats are different and such, but generally speaking, females=higher energy, males=squish lap rats.)
I love this idea (sorry if a bit off topic!)...I was actually considering neutering 2 of my male babies so they can hang out with the ladies. Anybody had any success doing this?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have to male rats that I had neutered to help with intro's.

My vet is awesome and neuters for $50 a rat. I don't have females, so I am not sure how much a spay would cost. I also have my rabbits altered at my vet. Rabbit neuters are $85 and spays are $99. I would think rat spays would be $65 or $75.

I have to drive 35 minutes just to get to my vet, though.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My vet, a most excellent exotic vet charges $260 for a spay.
Sure I could go to dr. so and so who charges $90 but I know I won't have the quality work my vet does. In some cases, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Some things to consider asking as well as price:

What type of anesthesia do you use?

What type of sutures do you use?

Do you recommend antibiotic and pain medication afterwards and provide these?

Do you do a pre anesthesia health check (and quite possibly pre anesthetic blood work)?

Have you had many successful rat spays/neuters?

There are lots of other things to ask other than price. I know spays are a ton more invasive than neuters so I would be more careful with that. Although in general you definitely should be careful where you go with rats as they are delicate and sensitive to anesthesia and can crash more easily if used improperly. But with a knowledgeable vet that knows what they are doing that should never be an issue.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
To add... Make sure they don't tell you to fast your rat(s) and if they do, educate! Rats can't vomit, so eating is not a problem.

My vet charges... Yikes, I always forget what their normal price is, without our discount. *does math*

Okay, I'll give you a range. Around $95-100 for spays, $55-60 for neuters.

·
Registered
187 Posts
About the males and lower energy levels... since keeping my rats on a strict diet and very slim and healthy, my males' energy levels are equal if not more than those of my girls.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts