Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how much it cost to get your female rats spayed? Or male rats neutered?

How did they do afterwards?

Did you get a discount for more than one?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re: Cost of spaying?

The price has to vary a lot between different locations and vets. I suggest you call around your are to the different vets to
1) see if they do Rat sugery (many vets do not even see rats in their office)
2) est cost of the surgery
good luck

·
Registered
221 Posts
Re: Cost of spaying?

What about neuters? I want to make sure I don't get completely ripped off :)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Well, I paid just under $90 for my boy's neuter plus antibiotics. I don't remember how much I was quoted for a spay, but it was definitely more than the neuter. Although the neuter itself ended up being $10 more than they originally told me. So just calling and asking might give you a different price than what it actually is ^^;

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks nitrate :)

It kinda worries me what soem vets are willing to do....I called one vet locally and she said she treats rats but has never neutered but said she would be willing to do it if i wanted her to.....I'd rather my boys not be her guinea pigs :) There are more experienced vets with better prices about an hour away so that is who I am looking in to....

By the way....How's Rokk? I can't wait until I am able to get my boys neutered so the boys and girls can play and live together :) I know they will all enjoy it....plus I'm going to completely rearrange their cage, add tons of more toys, buy a couple sets of fleece and towels, etc. I've already started buying toys for them to put in when I rearrange it :)

It's amazing how excited I get over the smallest things to do with my little ratties :)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Rokk is doing really well! I was surprised how quickly he was back to normal (the next day). He doesn't seem to miss his boys at all :lol: Except for the problem with the staples... I posted about that in the health section.

And I can't believe a vet with no experience with that would offer to do it anyway! 8O Any kind of surgery is not something to be taken lightly.

Believe me, I know exactly how easy it is to get excited when it comes to ratties! ^_^ My sister thought I was crazy today when we were in the basement and I found a big cardboard box with these weird divider things attached to the inside, and I said "Oooh! Come here and look at this box! Doesn't that look like fun!"

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Spay costs $160-260 here...I am a long-standing client though and a tumour removal starts at $320 so its worth it as a preventative surgery. Neuter costs $100-160. I did multiple surgeries and got discounts. :lol:

The boys recover fast, do not need staples, but I gave baytril for 7 days and metacam for 2 days. The girls a little slower since its a more invasive surgery and they can cramp up to 3 days. Baytril and metacam for 3 days for them. I have pics of incisions if you would like to see. I keep a huge medical folder of pics.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I know Mana....I'll see a box or cardboard tubes about to be thrown away and I'll grab em and go and make something out of them for the ratties....thye like it :) I started making "beds" for the rats....they are cardboard boxes with fabric covering them and I made pillows out of some fleece and rice (you can warm them up) so they can hide in them but they look cute inside the cage :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
one exotics vet that I am close friends with told me that if he was going to do a neuter, he'd want everything perfect, so it would cost me about $400. I think he's insane.

The vets I work with have been quoting me at around $200 at the day practices around here. Milwaukee sucks, apparently.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts