bedding
food
toys
cost aprox.

thnx 4 ur help

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well, that's a question that can be more easily answered by asking yourself a few things.

How big is the cage? This is going to determine how much bedding you need and possibly how often it must be changed.

What are you going to be feeding the rats? Are you going to buy specialty goodies, put together your own, etc.?

Are you going to buy toys or make them? Toilet paper tubes for them to play with cost nothing, you can make hammocks, but are you going to spend the time to do this?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well, if you haven't considered the cage yet, then that's something to think about.

Bedding... A decent-sized carefresh package would cost ten bucks (and carefresh is the good stuff). You can get bedding for less, but...

Toys? Haha, as I've heard many people say, if you've got a creative mind, some cardboard (tissue boxes, toilet paper rolls), and material+thread, you're set. The store bought toys range as much as one to two dollars to fifteen or more, if you want to get elaborate, at Petsmart.

Food? Haha, I underestimated Suebee's mix. When they say it makes alot, they mean it makes alot. It cost me a bit more than the aprox. $20, but that's because I got the good stuff =) Things like Mazuri, a bag that could last awhile cost me six bucks. It should last me awhile ^w^

As long as you keep out the costs of the big things, like vet trips and the cage, it doesn't have to cost more than, about $15 a month.

·
Registered
549 Posts
zimmyzam said:
Haha, I underestimated Suebee's mix. When they say it makes alot, they mean it makes alot.
I know what you mean, my boy friend watched me make it, is it over flowed the tub he asked me how many rats I thought we were feeding :p

As for toys, try the dollar store. As far as actual pet toys, look for ferret or parrot toys, possible chinchilla if they have them (for what ever reason anytime I see 'rat toys' their sized for a hamster) in the clearance aisle.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I think rats are a most expensive pet yet cheap all at once.

Cage wise, i cant say because there are too many options. Dont be cheap on a cage. Splurge and buy a big one. Bedding is a tricky one because you have many options. On multilevels, i'd say use Linolium tiles, and carefresh on botttom level(and a litter box wit letter if you wanna potty train). But you can do fleece coverings, towells, or many other options.

Cages range from 80-300+. Big bag of carefresh is 20$ if you chose to use cafefresh. Litter if you potty ttrain is around 8-9$.

Food is something to research. Many options but few are healthy for rats. Go to health section and look at the food sticky.

Toys can be homemade, dolllarstore stuff, bird toys, ferret toys, or other toys.

And you always need to have extra money incase a vet visit is needed.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok thnx, oh and dont worry bot cage size im getting the rat skyscraper i thin wich i BIG. lol

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
don't forget about medical care... an office visit alone for an exotic can run between 25 to 75 dollars & if treatment/medication is necessary you can find yourself paying an additional 100 or more.... per pet

when having a pet you need to consider a medical fund/savings. You never know when you will need it but when you do & you don't have it, it could be the difference between life or horrible suffering/death.

I make it a point to have 500 set back just for pet emergencies. That might be more than some can afford right away but you should start with at least 100 & add to it as often as possible & tell yourself to not touch it unless of course it is your own health & welfare. (not some buy one get one free sale at the mall)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts