Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am super new here, like, 30 min new but happy I found this group. I am....uh...obsessed with ma babies.(Bro and Zumi) I literally turned a whole closet into a rat playground for my two buddies that are both around 1.5 yo. I hate to compare them to dogs because they're apples and oranges (and I actually prefer rats) but in terms of expression of affection they really do feel like two small puppies as whenever I go into they're playground/farm they run to welcome me with licks, teeth chattering rolling over and will even fall asleep on my lap.

Well, yesterday the scariest thing happened tho. I heard something that sounded like them wrestling so I went to check on them and saw Zumi kind of on his side trying to get up but a whole side of him was stiff and he would get up and try to walk not that fast and he would fall...so i picked him up gently to check for an injury to see if he fell from anywhere or something like that and he didnt squeak or anything and didnt look like he was in any pain, just..paralyzed on one side? so i thought he was maybe having a stroke, however shortly after being on my lap he got up a little slowly and soon enought got back to normal!!!

it was really really strange and I still dont understand what happened, I couldnt find anything on seizures on just one side of the body and what I did find showed rats really going crazy before being still and he didn't do that or at least I didn't see it happen. And I read that it takes weeks for them to recover from a stroke so really lost and confused here on what to do...

·
Registered
219 Posts
I would keep a very very close eye on him. All you can really do is watch for any other symptoms/behaviors or try the vet.
If it happens again, record it.
It does sound like it could have been a seizure to me, if it was one - it is likely he will have more.
It could have been a stroke, http://ratguide.com/health/neurological/stroke.php or TIA
A sudden focal loss of neurologic function lasting a few minutes to one hour with complete recovery is referred to as a transient ischemic attack (TIA). Transient ischemic attacks result from a brief period of inadequate perfusion in one of the brain’s arteries or branches. A TIA or series of TIAs can increase and forebode the risk of impending stroke.
It could also be some neurological problem, or possibly a sign of PT
http://ratguide.com/health/neoplasia/pituitary_tumor.php
You might want to try the "cheerio test", give him a cheerio or other very small treat. If he cannot hold it in his hands well enough to eat it, then you are probably looking at PT.
I would record this and post it here, someone might be able to see an indication of some illness.
It's really somewhat hard to say exactly what happened with just this one instance. If your vet is good with rats, you may consider going to get a really thorough check-up. If they aren't, you may be better off trying to catch what happens on video before going to the vet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would keep a very very close eye on him. All you can really do is watch for any other symptoms/behaviors or try the vet.
If it happens again, record it.
It does sound like it could have been a seizure to me, if it was one - it is likely he will have more.
It could have been a stroke, http://ratguide.com/health/neurological/stroke.php or TIA
It could also be some neurological problem, or possibly a sign of PT
http://ratguide.com/health/neoplasia/pituitary_tumor.php
You might want to try the "cheerio test", give him a cheerio or other very small treat. If he cannot hold it in his hands well enough to eat it, then you are probably looking at PT.
I would record this and post it here, someone might be able to see an indication of some illness.
It's really somewhat hard to say exactly what happened with just this one instance. If your vet is good with rats, you may consider going to get a really thorough check-up. If they aren't, you may be better off trying to catch what happens on video before going to the vet.

Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I read up on PT as well but ruled that out because of the cheerio test. He can hold anything perfectly, in fact he is acting super healthy now which reaaally makes me think it might've been TIA. it super sounds like it.

Also, I do need to find a good rat vet (in the las vegas area if anyone knows of any) because I took them to two =when they were younger and they didn't seem to know much about rats even though they were supposed to be small animals vet???

anyway, will keep an eye on him and read more about TIA.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
What is the rats age? What is his diet like? I remember an article about the amount of sugar in a diet and its effect on seizures. Is there a chance that he fell off something and that caused him to be disorientated? To be honest, I would definitely be monitoring him closely since something like this is pretty unusual and could signify a serious underlying health issue. I would also be looking for a knowledgeable vet now for when you will inevitably need one.

SpencerSprings Animal Clinic is listed on the Rat Report vet list and whilst I do not have personal experience with them, the place is worth phone call. Finding a good rat vet is pretty difficult but should be substantially easier if you know what you are looking for in advance and you are not in a state of panic already. What I did was compile a list of phone numbers of all vets who see rats in my area. I then called each one and asked them as much as I could. This gave me a general feel of the place, the staff, their prices and their procedures. Some questions that are important to ask potential vets are:

1.) How much do you charge for a general exam?
2.) How much does a round of baytril and doxy cost?
3.) Does the vet I will be seeing have experience treating/operating on rats?
4.) How much does the clinic charge for a spay/neuter? Has the vet done this procedure before?
5.) What is your euthanasia procedure for rats?

It might seem like a lot and it is quite tedious asking all these questions but it really helps you cut out clinics that do not fall within your budget/ethics. Of course, experience does not count for everything but it is important. Above all, you should find a vet who is willing to work with you in finding/trying new treatments.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts