Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oldest rat Sugar (about 6 months old). I've noticed a strange thing on her. One, the newest, I noticed what looks kinda like red paint 'sprinkled' near her neck, she isnt discomforted by it or anything, I just got worried... Please tell me whats wrong, thanks :)

~ Night

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
is it an area that she would be able to reach with her mouth?

If so it could be poryphin (red mucus) that has rubbed off from her nose to her fur. If she has cage mates it could be the same yet from one of them.

I would check her very closely for signs of lice or mites.

Some are too small to see with the naked eye so you may need to consider a vet check as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've look on here since you posted, I couldn't see any but I am very worried, since I'm only 14 and unable to drive ><. Ill ask my parents to take her to the vet, there WAS lice in the family, I didnt get it and they were in my room but still... It could also be red mucus, because its on the sides of her neck. What would be the common treatment for lice in rats? I hope its nothing too hard :(

·
Registered
532 Posts
rats have porphyrin in their saliva, so if they are grooming that spot the porphyrin may build up and cause stains. it's really visible on white rats like PEWs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No its more like dabs of red Ill get a picture soon though... Like red paint sprinkled on here bright red...

EDIT: Wow , I just noticed something, call me crazy but they're gone sometimes, she must clean it, and then they come back. Could it be a bug bite?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I went to go take a picture when I noticed they were gone, they appear frequently though so I should get one soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts