Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at adding to my current mischief I was talking to a breeder who bred a hairless to a normal I was looking at the pictures (they are still rather young) and was trying to tell if they could have rex fur? I don't know much on rat genetics since I only have them as pets but is it possible for them to be rex or is it just because they are so young and was a picture?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Hairless was probably double Rex. It is easy to tell if they are Rex or not. Do they have curly whiskers? Curly = Rex. But the breeder should know what they are and tell u for sure.

·
Registered
680 Posts
One of my new boys has wavy hair and whiskers. The breeder called it a "bristle coat", not rex. It's really interesting looking. It's like he's got permenant bed head.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Often breeders will come up with terms to describe differences in what is probably the same gene, bristle coat is one of those, its usually found where a rex has coarser more wirey coat and as of yet I've not seen much evidence that its a separate gene.

As moonkissed said, the whiskers should give you an idea, you can judge from very young wether there a rex or not. The breeder should know if they know what there doing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would describe it more as different "degrees" of rex fur!
Velveteen- wavy and soft. After the second moult they may even look standard for a while and then become more wavy over time.
Rex- curls, thick wavy-curly coat
Bristle- more interspersed and coarse rex
Double rex- close to hairless. Hairless with bristle-like patches.

As said before, depending on the babies history the breeder will be able to tell you what "degree" of rex your rattie is!

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
I've had three rexes that had very different hair... Check out the whiskers, if they are curly it's a rex. And yes, one of the rexes we had started out with very wavy fur that turned completely straight by the age of 5 weeks old, but her whiskers stayed curly...

Velvety Rex

Marsupial Rat Ferret Muridae Grass

Bristle coat rex

Rat Vertebrate Mammal Muridae Rodent

1 - 6 of 6 Posts