Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever seen 2 litter mates really not enjoy each other's company?

why do my rats lick my arms?

When my rats curl up in a ball with their heads under themselfs are they telling me to turn the lights out?

are rubber jacks a safe toy?

do rats ever enjoy having their stomach rubbed?(cause mine don't, and when i try it they back up and look at my hand like "wtf")

why is my black rat completely timid in the cage but once i get her out she runs all over me and smells me chases her sister and is generally very outgoing.(inside the cage she shys away from being touched, outside she loves it)

i think thats about it

·
Registered
981 Posts
Re: could questions i felt like asking

Sojuuk said:
Sure, it happens. I have a couple of rats that don't really get along. They aren't too mean to each other, though, so I don't worry about it much.

Sojuuk said:
They like you and you also might taste like something they like?

Sojuuk said:
When my rats curl up in a ball with their heads under themselfs are they telling me to turn the lights out?
Maybe? My rats do that too, but I think sometimes they just sleep like that. I've seen cats do it too.

Sojuuk said:
Should be

Sojuuk said:
do rats ever enjoy having their stomach rubbed?(cause mine don't, and when i try it they back up and look at my hand like "wtf")
Some do, some don't. Sometime's a rat's owner enjoys the activity more than the rat.

Sojuuk said:
why is my black rat completely timid in the cage but once i get her out she runs all over me and smells me chases her sister and is generally very outgoing.(inside the cage she shys away from being touched, outside she loves it)
This I can't really answer. All rats have different personalities, and this must be a trait of her personality.

·
Registered
549 Posts

Sojuuk said:
It could be a trust thing. When you think about it the belly is very *delicate* (thats not the word but I can't think of the right one) its where all their organs and such lie unprotected. If you were a predator (possible you are much larger than them) a belly shot could cause a lot of pain.

None of my boys are really all that crazy about belly rubs, the little boys seem to enjoy when I blow on their bellies. Also I don't think my rats are all that comfy on their backs

·
Registered
4,535 Posts

Sojuuk said:
Did you always get along with your siblings? ;)

They're grooming you. Or you taste good.

Nah, they're just sleepy.

Yes, but mine never liked them much.

They probably think you're trying to tip them on their backs or wrestle. My boys get tummy kisses (unless they've been sleeping in the litter box again.)

Dunno. Maybe the cage is her hidey place and she doesn't like it invaded or something. My boys do this sometimes too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is chocolate okay?

cotton balls a safe source of bedding?

when i take my outs to clean their cage they also poo in the room i put em in while i work, however, when im in the room with them they never will. please explain :(

do rats see in color, if so do they tend to prefer any in particular?

how much food should i put in the open bowl(dog food and rodent blocks)?

how long does it take for them to stop growing?

my rats don't really play very much inside their cage, they tend to just eat and sleep. I put a bunch of toys in there for them to roll around or chew on or anything but they don't do any of that(that i can see). why are they so lazy :p

my cage has 2 full floors and 2 balconies. they eat and sleep all on the uppermost balcony, why is this? I always thought rats preferd being low.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My mind is realing,... lol. I'm interested in some of these answers too, but about the cotton balls, I've heard they can get their feet caught in it or something, so I'd stick to carefresh or aspen.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Sojuuk said:
Is chocolate okay?
Tiny bits of dark chocolate is fine on occasion. Otherwise, it's a nono.

cotton balls a safe source of bedding?
I can imagine some rats might try eating it or get their feetsies caught.

when i take my outs to clean their cage they also poo in the room i put em in while i work, however, when im in the room with them they never will. please explain :(
Um, while you're there they're behaving? If it's an issue try putting them elsewhere?

do rats see in color, if so do they tend to prefer any in particular?
Muted colors, basically. My boys have never shown a preference.

how much food should i put in the open bowl(dog food and rodent blocks)?
Personally I free-feed the staple diet, so experiment to see how much they eat. If they're putting on too much weight, then restrict them.

how long does it take for them to stop growing?
Depends on the rat, really...

my rats don't really play very much inside their cage, they tend to just eat and sleep. I put a bunch of toys in there for them to roll around or chew on or anything but they don't do any of that(that i can see). why are they so lazy :p
Because they like being lazy? Maybe they play with them at night?

my cage has 2 full floors and 2 balconies. they eat and sleep all on the uppermost balcony, why is this? I always thought rats preferd being low.
Actually they seem to prefer the top for most people as well. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts