Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok (last time I bother you guys today - promise :D)

So, Lily is one of my adoptees and she's still young (only 1 year old, her bday (unoffical one) is today.

She has a terrible tendency to get crackles on the chest. Usually, it sounds quite mucousy (sp? - we'll say snotty and clogged up) but sometimes it travels to her chest (her sister Jennie is particularily bad for getting it on her chest)

This particular time around (we've been through this 3 or 4 times since I got her in September) she's on Baytril/Doxy and although the crackle left, it came back on day 6 (now day 10) of her course! Usually in this situation I would take her to the vets and get an anti-inflammatory injection - and I have taken her already to be checked over. We discussed leaving her (no injection) and trying Bisolvon (a decongestant for cattle) to see if that will clear it.

It appears to clear temporarily, but return a few hours later.

So far, I have tried the shower steam treatment, Bisolvon twice daily and Ventolin inhaler (twice daily as well) to relieve any inflammation. I may have to try chocolate as well at some point with her.

She's still crackling. Grr.

I'm going to take her for the injection tomorrow (it's only fair to her, as I know it works) but has anyone else experienced anything as persistant as this?

My poor Jake has been suffering the same kind of problem for the last 8 months, and I hate to have him rely on an injection to get better. It's a nasty cycle with him that I dont see ending (he's now 2) anytime soon. Because Lily is so young - I want to try, if I can, to find an alternative method of treating this and trying not to get her trapped in Jake's situation.

I've looked into environmental factors for her (and Jake's) cause as well; her bedding is now towels and the room isn't particularily dusty. I may try purchasing a humidifier and/or air purifier shortly, and see if that will help at all.

One problem I think may be a contributing factor is that my dad is quite a heavy smoker. Although, after months of badgering he now smokes in the kitchen (he started smoking out there over a year ago - before we had Lily) but obviously the smoke won't STAY in the kitchen. During the day the door is closed but in the evening my mum prefers the door open (living room door this is) and my dad absolutely refuses to smoke outside. "It's my house and I can do whatever the f*** I like in it" (and yes, that's a real quote). My reply - "You start paying my f***ing vet bills then" o_O We're an all-love family.

Could this be it? Your input/ideas/suggestions/advise would be helpful

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
For persistent URI's/Cracklies I use baytril/zithromax, which I have found exceptionally effective. Its fast (a few days) and you see a big improvement.

Its my staple med combo now :)

I get the azithromycin as a written script from my vet and go to my local pharmacy to have it filled :)

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting.

I might try asking the vet tomorrow about it. I'm guessing it stops it reoccuring also?

Lily will crackle (so will Jake actually) and won't stop until they get their anti-inflammatory. Then within 24 hours it stops. Two weeks later though, it's all back! They always have had at least 14 days of abs - but that doesn't seem to matter.

Thanks for that :D

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Ration1802 said:
Interesting.

I might try asking the vet tomorrow about it. I'm guessing it stops it reoccuring also?

Lily will crackle (so will Jake actually) and won't stop until they get their anti-inflammatory. Then within 24 hours it stops. Two weeks later though, it's all back! They always have had at least 14 days of abs - but that doesn't seem to matter.

Thanks for that :D
I have some chronics here sadly, but it clears them up nicely for a good while. With regular URI rats it clears them up completely.

·
Registered
261 Posts
You're not bothering us at all!
I would definatly go with Baytril. You can probably get the perscription from your vet. Remember to get it treated b4 it gets to catchy and contaigous. There is a slight chance of it being a respritory infection. Running a humidifier in your rat's room is a great idea. Don't worry Ration, your Lily will get better soon- promise :D

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rattusnorvegicus said:
You're not bothering us at all!
I would definatly go with Baytril. You can probably get the perscription from your vet. Remember to get it treated b4 it gets to catchy and contaigous. There is a slight chance of it being a respritory infection. Running a humidifier in your rat's room is a great idea. Don't worry Ration, your Lily will get better soon- promise :D
She's already on Baytril / Doxycycline - as it's safe to say she has a reoccuring URI.

Chances are it's not contagious - in my experience the cracklies she gets don't often spread. Sometime's Jennie will pick up on it - but I think that's because whatever 'trigger' effects Lily so often is also one for Jennie as well.

UPDATE: This morning the crackles were less, I think the Ventolin/Bisolvon has started to help. Usually she's worse in the mornings and at night - this morning (her previous medication being last night) she still sounded stuffy, but the crackles were definately reduced. Gave her Ventolin this morning and will give Bisolvon when I get back from work.

Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This morning - minimal crackling
Tonight - NO CRACKLING!

It appears that the Ventolin and Bisolvon have kicked in and are working.

I'll continue with the Ventolin Inhaler for a further couple of days (she hates the box - it's now named aptly 'the gas chamber') and stop and see how she gets on. I'll continue the Baytril/Doxy over the weekend just in case.

With any luck, this combo will mean no nasty stickies and steroids for Lily!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts