Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Scampi + Goose
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I recently saw a Craigslist ad for a used DCN the seller was pricing it at $120 and then proceeded to say that they are open to trade for a hedgehog. So, I have actually been looking to rehome a hedgehog for a friend and I have also been trying to find a DCN. I was wondering if this ad seems sketchy. Should I make the trade? I of course would like to make sure this is a good home for her ("Her" is the hedgehog, just to clarify). I just wanted to ask what you guys think because it seems like a good deal except for the fact that I don't know if trading a hedgehog to a random person is the best option.

·
Registered
Cloud and Dew (Pearl Merle and American Mink, both with Irish markings)!
124 Posts
I think you should inquire about what the hedgehog will be living in and how much time will be spent, ask for pictures of everything. It sounds like the perfect ad for you though, so make sure your excitement at the prospect of a DCN and rehoming your friend’s hedgehog is not valued over finding a safe home for the hedghog!

·
Registered
Hulu, Dibs, Sprout, & Mochi
399 Posts
I would go for it but I would ask a lot of questions about hedgehogs to see if they know anything about them and to see if they have done the research.

·
Registered
Rex, Penny, Sugar, Latte
653 Posts
What's it like owning a hedgehog? I couldn't get one anyway since I live in PA but I've never met someone who owned one.

·
Registered
Cloud and Dew (Pearl Merle and American Mink, both with Irish markings)!
124 Posts
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I‘ve heard that they are pretty nasty in terms of getting their cage dirty. I’ve also heard that they are good pets though, so IDK!

·
Registered
Scampi + Goose
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I fostered this hedgehog for a while, this particular one wasn't socialized and was VERY terrified of human interaction. Her poo definitely stunk quite a bit and unlike rat excrement, it was quite large and smeared and fell apart quite easily. They need heating which can be I bit intimidating. They make great pets for the right people, unfortunately, we were not in the position to keep her. I am glad she has a chance to find a great permanent home :).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts