Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear, you think you have your rats all figured out, and what do they go and try to eat? CAT LITTER!

I just got the girls some Yesterday's News, we're going to try fleece and litter training again, see if we can't do something about Sevilla's sniffles. But if they're going to snack on paper pellets, I'm not sure how well this is going to work!

Seriously, out of all the food I give them; Suebee's, HT blocks, salads, apples, tuna, chicken... and I just spent like, two hours today cooking up pastas and lentils and potatoes for a little frozen mix for them. And they want cat litter. Sheesh.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
kinda like the care taker that goes out & buys $1000 worth of cat toys, massive climbing units & fancy pet beds only to find the cat lounging in the dirty clothes hamper playing with the plastic tab that was pulled off the milk jug

I don't think they will continue to eat the stuff so don't give up yet. The way rats learned is by tasting.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Don't worry, when I first got yesterdays news they nibbled on it too, but stopped after a day. I haven't seen them eat it since.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, they're currently pooping everywhere but the little bowl, I'm afraid... I'm a little concerned that it's too small/high for them to be convenient, but it was only $1, and nice and sturdy, I figured I'd give it a try.

They had already picked out a little spot in their cage to go, and I out the bowl there, I was hoping it'd be a fast switch. So far... not so fast. But we'll keep on it, Sevilla's sniffles are tons better now that she's off Carefresh.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ha! Sounds like ours...we're trying a shoe box right now. At first, Eleanor was actually trying to make a bed out of the "toilet" area...lol. Anyways, we've actually put on gloves and picked up the poop pellets and relocated them to the box (yuck!) each time we notice one not in the box, and that seems to be helping some...wonder how long it's supposed to take to train them?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts