Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the general consensus about feeding rats crickets and mealworms? My brother has kept frogs for many years, so we often have crickets readily available. I gave crickets to my girls once and they did go quite wild. I felt sort of bad, though, because rather than detaching the head first they decided to pull of the wings, appendages, and squishy back part first instead of just killing them. (If I ever try this again, the heads go off first. At least frogs eat them whole)! They seemed to enjoy the experience as a treat, but I noticed it made their poop rather white and greasy. Not loose, just shiny. When I found some white dried pellets afterwards they were dry but oily! Could the crickets have done this?

I would suppose that crickets are relatively lean compared to other foods...I even know of a few people and companies who feature cricket flour as a part of diets. I've even had crickets before (yep! Earthbound sells packets and I was dared by my friend a few years ago. They were actually sort of popcorn-ish). So it's not a question of safety. I know that they're a safe food...but are they too rich to be more than an occasional treat for rats? Same goes for mealworms, though I know that if you don't tear off the heads they can be unsafe for frogs (they can bite them from the inside if they survive ingestion). Is it the same for rats?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I feed my rats mealworms lately as treats. they usually get a couple at a time. I think they're supposed to be high protein (I think??) so I've been specifically trying to give them to my old lady to get her to gain weight hopefully. I always give them head first so they are hopefully killed quickly, but osmetimes they flip them around and start from the back first. :( I dont' think youd have to worry. Some bugs are naturally kind of oily or greasy, so that's probably what happened with the poops after eating the crickets, but I'm not too sure. I imagine that the older the crickets are, the more oily they are too. What size were the crickets you gave them? I haven't noticed any poop changes with my guys after they have mealworms.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts