Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I just got my boys a double CN. It's so huge compared to their old cage and all the toys they had now look like nothing in the big cage. I'm going out shopping for rattie things in a bit. Any ideas suggestions and or pictures of your CN for inspiration would be wonderful!

·
Registered
953 Posts
There is a sticky of cn's you c ould look at.

A fave place is the dollar tree-there is a lot of plastic and wicker baskets you can use. Other stuff at the dollar tree is stuff to hold up things-binder clips, curtain hooks and baby rings.

They sometimes have plastic jingle balls in the cat section. Construction paper to make stuff for them, or just ripping apart.

Hardware stores have the pvc pipes folks use a lot for hiding holes. If you drill holes in them you can even hang them in the cage or along the sides.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thrift store. I got several fleece blanket for less than a dollar each and several baskets for a quarter. I found all kinds of neat things for the ratties. I try to buy inexpensive stuff since they are going to chew it up anyway.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I love getting baskets at our thrift store. Just make sure they are untreated, undyed, and not shiney at all with any type of glaze. I've founds ome great hanging baskets, fun shaped baskets like ducks or pods or a giant chair shaped one, half circle baskets which fit great against the side of the cage, small baskets to fill with food for foraging. Baskets are great! They love to sometimes destroy them too. You can buy fleece too and make your own hammocks for cheaper than buying them. Buy rivets you can hammer into place for sturdy edges and pear hooks for safe, chew proof way to hang the hammocks. No sewing needed either. I've made a few simple hammocks using these and they've held out for a long time. The rivets are really valuable in keeping a long life for a hammock.

·
Registered
908 Posts
They also have dog rope toys at the dollar store... I buy several and string together with the baby rings from there or plastic shower curtain hoops and attach to the cage for them to climb...They love these.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have always been partial to using the thrift store as a nice place to get accessories and toys for my DCN. I buy fleece blankies there and use the no-sew method of attaching them to my cage trays. I even came across some very cute Guinea Pig snuggle sacks there and my girls LOVE them. My friend, who also has a DCN, sometimes even buys cute little bird ladders for them and bird perches that they like to chew and climb on. Hope this gives you some ideas!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was going to suggest to have a look at the Crazy Rat Lady on youtube! I love her videos but I believe she has posted herself!
I wish I could have a CN they seem the best cages I have seen (on video as it is imposible to get them here).
Enjoy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts