Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my 3 girls a new cage soon. I'm wondering if I should get the 2 level one or would they be fine with one level? I may in the future want another rat....I know I can just buy the extra level at any time...

·
Registered
437 Posts
For now the one level will be plenty of space if you have some spare money you could save that aside for a vet fund. If you can, then do get the second level at some point. The more space the better and that makes lots of extra room for any additions to your mischief! :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
One level is plenty of room for three, and it's easy to add onto it later. I just bought another new DCN myself and although I only really need a single at the moment the deals are always better with the double. If you have the extra money it wouldn't hurt, as I've noticed I save a good chunk buying it all in one swoop. On the other hand you don't necessarily need all that room for the moment. In the DCN I have now I have two boys living int he top and three girls at the bottom and everyone has plenty of roaming space that way.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I work at a pet store so I get it practically half off. Can't decide if I should get it while I have the discount when I don't really need it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I can attest that a single is plenty of room. I have a DCN with three rats (all under 3 months in age so that's really space overkill). I had them in just the lower cage for a couple of weeks to get them used to the litter tray.

So yes, you could get away with just a single. I certainly could. That being said, I have no regrets on my double. I have both areas open to each other. They spend most of their time in the top right now. It may be because I built Rat City out of five little cardboard boxes, which is probably far more interesting than the stuff below. I'm working on outfitting the bottom with more interesting things. But even though they spend most of their time up top, they do venture to the bottom. I've read that you should have at least 2 cu ft per adult rat, but more is better. The DCN is 2'x'3'x4' so I supposedly have the space for 12 adult rats (having a hard enough time tracking three rats right now!), so this space must feel luxurious for my rats, especially considering the space they had at the pet store.

So you don't need it, but it may make your rats happier. And it gives you room to grow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts