Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not gonna bother with useless, uninformational, background information; I will, however, apologize in advance if the lines/"paragraphs" don't separate, the device I'm using tends to keep eveything smushed together even when attempteed to separate. 1. How many rats can fit in a single? 2. Any idea on where to order the cheapest one, double AND single? (Not together, of course!) 3. What do you think of it/what are your experiences with it?

·
Registered
581 Posts
1. I have heard that about 4 females can live in the SCN and 3 males. (Though I believe you could stretch to 5 females and 4 males if you had to). The DCN can do double that.

2. Most of the time I find the cheapest ones on Craigslist. Other than that, most of the time it's just random sales that bring down the price a lot... Amazon sells them and they tend to have sales often, though I don't know how much cheaper they would make CNs.

3. My pair of females lives in one and I absolutely love it. It is large and could be cumbersome if you have a small room but it has tons of space for my rats and plenty of room for hanging hammocks. I have a bit of difficulty really staggering heights for hammocks but I've steadily figured out a system and my rats don't seem to mind where their hammocks are anyway, as long as they're there. XD

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have five girls in a DCN that we recently upgraded to, and we all love it! They love the space, and I love how easy it is to clean. It seems huge and might take forever, but it really doesn't. The smaller Petco Manor we had took much longer to clean!

·
Registered
908 Posts
I agree with Alice, my girls upgraded from a rat manor to the DCN and it is great space and a lot easier to clean. I have 3 girls in it now, with plans for more soon to come. I'd say you could easily fit 4 girls in a single.. Maybe even 5 if they got along well and you use the space wisely.

Check wayfair, amazon, and ebay for prices. Someone here on the site recommended camelcamelcamel to me and it is great for tracking prices on Amazon. I have heard others say they see a lot of CNs on Craigslist. I don't see many posted in my area, but you might be able to find one there.

The one large downside to the CN / DCN is also its' size. Keep in mind that it is heavy, requires 2 people to assemble, and might not be the best choice if you're planning on moving soon. I know the single is half the size of my double, but my double weighs about 100lbs (so the single would be about 50) and it would be a beast if you have to move and haul it up or down stairs, so just keep that in mind.

I have to order pans for mine as well.. If you want to use litter, remember that it comes with very shallow flat pans and deeper metal pans can be ordered, but at a cost.

Overall I think it's a great cage, especially if you need the room.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts