Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My BEW Mola has begun nipping me whenever I try to pet her while she is in the Lixit critter space pod. Is there anyway to curb this? Whenever I put my hand in (even if it's to pet the other rats), she starts looking very uncomfortable. She's only done this when she is in the pod, never anywhere else in the cage. Though, the other day when she nipped me, I bopped her on the nose and made an angry rat noise; I also kept moving towards her and she angled herself so that her stomach was half facing me and let me give her skritches there. So I'm really confused now.

Note: She has not drawn blood (except for once when she was going for a wet wipe)

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
By angling herself and showing you her belly she's offering an apology and submitting to your "authority". This is generally a good sign. Take her out and handle her more to reinforce that you can go anywhere you want in the cage and she has no right to push you out... A little negative communication is usually all it takes to fix most problems like this, be consistent but don't go overboard with discipline... it works well but it shouldn't be overused, also try calling her out of the rat house and offering her treats... And when she shows you her belly always skritch it and make a very big deal over it. It is a big thing for a rat to offer you her belly and she expects you to reward her for it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot, Rat Daddy! I've been making it more of a point to pet everyone while they're in the critter pod. I haven't been nipped since she nipped me a few times and I made sure to let her know that she can't do that (made me a tad late for work too :p ). Hopefully, this is over and there's no more nipping.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts