Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed last night that one of my rats must have peed on the dark blue fleece that's lining their cage. At least it looks like pee. But it has like crusted onto the fleece and looks like there's salt grains or something in it. Is that normal?

It's the first time I notice them doing this. They eat,drink and poop normally.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I've seen pools of pee dry and go crusty kinda like egg whites that were fried super thin...
That's gross... Rofl.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I'm sure its nothing but it reminded me of my Pug who had something like that. When she peed she left behind shiny sand like reside behind once it dried. It had something to do with her kidneys but medication was able to control it. There were other signs with her, lots of licking, inability to hold in urine, ect.

Then again, that was a dog. This is a rat. If there are no other symptoms, it is probably normal.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure its nothing but it reminded me of my Pug who had something like that. When she peed she left behind shiny sand like reside behind once it dried. It had something to do with her kidneys but medication was able to control it. There were other signs with her, lots of licking, inability to hold in urine, ect.

Then again, that was a dog. This is a rat. If there are no other symptoms, it is probably normal.
Does anyone know if it's possible that this sort of thing can happen with rats also? Like the kidney issue thing?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The last thing I wanted to do was worry you, but I wanted to bring that up as something just to LOOK for. All I can tell you is that in one of my cages, there is a tray with no covering. Mocha used to pee on it and the pee did not dry shiny or crusty.

This is the only thing I found. http://www.petmd.com/exotic/conditions/urinary/c_ex_rt_urolithiasis

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The last thing I wanted to do was worry you, but I wanted to bring that up as something just to LOOK for. All I can tell you is that in one of my cages, there is a tray with no covering. Mocha used to pee on it and the pee did not dry shiny or crusty.

This is the only thing I found. http://www.petmd.com/exotic/conditions/urinary/c_ex_rt_urolithiasis
Thanks for sharing that article with me! I try not to go onto google searching for things as it normally makes me panic and it ends up being nothing.

It's the first time I've noticed it happen so I'll keep an eye out for it happening in the future.

I wiped it with a baby wipe and it cleaned off no problem and didn't have a weird colour or anything. Weird.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts