Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to thank you for all your input and ideas on the "Cuddle Bone" theory ...
I just wanted to add a few more specific points ... I first thought a lot of you might have invisioned the standard white cuddle bone typically seen on bird cages, --- however the one I have is made primarily of "chalk".
After reading the ingredients it did say that the block's protiens and calcium does help to fortify the vitamins and nutrients "caged", "seed-eating" little creatures, lol ... don't get. That's obvious. (I never had a lot of faith in seeds as a staple ...)
But the bonus is ---- they picked right up on it, my ratties, so cute!!!! And the chalk really gives them something to "sink their teeth into", if you will. lol ...

It is not being consumed at gluttons rates by them, lol ... just perfect little teeeefie bites, --- so am totally convinced they're not being "over-calcified", as one suggested in their helpful post ...

Anyway ... It's a biiiig "pink" block that is marketed for cockatiels, (which I also have for my budgies), --- and tho I am holding all your views in mind, carefully watching their health as always, ---- I really think it's filed down their teeth, that WERE getting long there, reallyyyyy good!!!!

Another approach I tried was finding various wood branchs outside for them to knaw on in their cage which --- they didn't bother with either. I also gave them my dog's big raw hide chewie, lol ... they couldn't have been less disinterested, lol ... (Am I sounding like a total nut case yet, lol?)
But the idea of the chalk block --- hit bang on with them ...

Silly boyzzzzz .... Aaaaaaw How I love them more and more each day. My one guy, "Templeton". lol ... His personality is just starting to kick in. He's a pure delight, lol ... He's my fury little terrorist, lol!!! The antics ... SO FUNNY. Who woulda' ever figured rats would grow to be so dear to our hearts ...
Anyway ... Thanks again!!!!! Novel complete!!!!!

Sneakers!! :p

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
They are dangerous...not just unadvisable. Serious health issues you won't see and it will be too late to treat when you do see something wrong.

WHY would you ignore all the advice?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Your rats DO NOT need anything to 'file' there teeth, they grind there teeth down on there own. Why would you even chance putting them at risk, even after being forwarned... You're putting your ratties at risk, for what seems to me... your own personal satisfaction.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Wow. Way too much calcium and you were warned of this already. Rats don't require things to keep their teeth in check they do it by bruxing. If you want to supply them with things to chew on for fun there are much better and healthier things to provide than a cuttlebone.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay ... I get your point. And this is how I see it. I'm a grown adult who has entered forums before.
It seems to attract the same kind of people. I am a warm-hearted intelligent person --- and the people that like to govern these places sit as Gods. You have only bitterness and pride.
In fact, consistantly as people ---- were I to meet you face to face you no doubt WOULD be decent and respectful. But instead, in these formums you like to pontificate. Pride. I just don't understand.

"Why would you deliberately ignore the advise". Get over yourselves.

Examine your own heartless motives ... You're not God. Try being as kind to people as you "think" you are to your rats.

It's a shame human nature is what it is. Not one of you focused on the cheery warmth and respect in my post ... Think about it. There's a way to speak to others ---- Maybe that's a lesson for you? Perhaps we should open a "How to deal respectfully, or care for humans". You would benifit ...

Sneakers' Mom.

·
Registered
393 Posts
It's a shame you see it that way. All I see are people who love rats and are concerned for their wellbeing and thus frustrated when their advice towards your rat's wellbeing is ignored. None of us are here to attack you or be "Gods". We are here to share our love of rats and help each other learn.

I fail to see how my motives, educating people and helping to ensure pet rats are cared for properly, are heartless in any way shape or form. People are being snippy with you because you ignored advice that was meant to keep your rat safe and healthy. It's nothing personal, and it's not about pride.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Furthermore .... Is anyone here a qualified Vet? Here's the deal. It IS in the rat's best interest to aid them with their teeth in some fashion. They are caged animals. Otherwise the overgrowth can lead to death. As well as imparing eventually their ability to eat. Hardly a chalk block will cause an overdose in calcium or nutrients. They are not inhaling it ... It would last months. Come on.

Pet stores sell blocks for this very reason, for rodents, rabbits and such.

If you're going to be on a forum to offer advise to kind people who otherwise are young children, excited and eager to learn ... your info needs to be accurate and respectful. That's why my daughter grew frightened to even return here ... for getting slammed down, as she in her innocence looked for help --- and like I, found nothing but pompous rudeness ---- that was of no value to her, or others.

Lose the "clique" ... have a heart ----- and speak to a qualified Veterinarian before offering your cold, offensive advise.

Have a happy day!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've observed in veterinary offices, aim to become a small animal vet, and have been researching pet rat care for a few years now. Maybe before telling us our information is wrong you should look at your own. Rats grind their teeth down through bruxing and a healthy rat that does not have malocclusion does not require chew objects. Salt and mineral wheels are sold in pet stores too and they are also unnecessary. Pet stores sell a lot of bad and unnecessary products (pine and cedar anyone?).

A cuttlebone is designed for birds who are reproducing and laying eggs. Laying eggs depletes large amounts of calcium and the cuttlebone is there to help replace that. It's extremely high in calcium.

Our information is accurate. Our information has been respectful, and people only got snippy when their advice for your rats wellbeing was ignored.

Here are some examples of the dangers of calcium overdose in people that I found just by googling: http://www.venturablvd.com/community/encino/messages/784.htm
http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Dont-Overdose-on-Calcium/Detail.aspx
http://yedda.com/questions/health_calcium_overdose_1860105485211/

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
As a new rat owner it seems you need to do a lot more research before dissing owners that have experienced a **** of a lot more than you have.

Rat Teeth...constantly grow, but when properly aligned (most rats are) their bruxxing (or teeth grinding) keeps them worn down. IF they are maloccluded (misaligned) then they will not line up to grind evenly and then they will need to be trimmed by your vet or yourself (your vet must teach you how). Giving them things to chew when they have malocclusion will do nothing at all.

http://ratguide.com/health/digestive/malocclusion.php

We cannot tell your daughter's age from her posts, we are all here for the benefit and love of these wonderful creatures and can only go on by what we read. Sadly a lot of information is in other rat owners' heads and that is why we share like we do. Even a lot of vets know very little about rats and meds, and treatments. I am very very lucky to have a wonderful one, who loves them, and is very comfortable with surgeries and treatments, and is willing to listen to a ratowner with suggestions.

We don't know you from Adam, but we already care about the welfare of your unknown rats. That is how we work here. It is up to us to encourage the next generation of ratowners to learn, and then to teach others later on in their turn.

A lot of us have had rats for years and are able to give decent general medical advice having experienced the same things over and over with our vets. We research what we don't know for the benefit of others (I knew about calcium being a possible issue but needed to look up the info to show others).

I have many rescue rats here myself, have been thru a lot of things with my vet that most will never know of, much less experience, and a lot of people ask me questions when they run into something I have been through already. I post most of my medical sagas so others can learn along with me.

As the adult you should be researching for, I assume, your young daughter? You have taken on the responsibility of these very intelligent social animals and you cannot expect her to do all the care if she is that young. Your rats will need the vet one of these days and you will have to pay for it and possibly medicate, flush abscesses, etc.

I am normally a very nice person and help everyone who wants it or asks, but people who refuse to even consider the posted advice from people who have a lot more experience? :(

·
Registered
520 Posts
sneakers88 said:
Is anyone here a qualified Vet?
I am a Registered Veterinary Technician. Not a vet, but I do these things for a living.

I went and asked our doctors and they happened to agree with the anti-cuttle bone camp. Just saying.

sneakers88 said:
Have a happy day!
The sarcasm is immature and unnecessary.

I enjoy being a part of this forum. It is not perfect, but it serves a wonderful purpose.

Something to keep in mind, you cannot hear tone or see body language on the internet. It is easy to take things the wrong way. :wink:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I could repeat all the medical/health/general rat care info, but it's been said a few times on this thread and the other one. Everyone is right. I'm sorry if that's not what you want to hear. Any exotics vet, especially those who specialize in rodents/rats, will agree.

Also, I don't think anyone mentioned... It's make of *chalk*? Did I read that right? That, alone, should tell you something... First off, chalk is a substance that's known to release dust particles. And, as I'm sure you're aware, rats have extremely sensitive respiratory systems... ANYTHING that's dusty is something you do NOT want to expose them to. I would assume that this block, as it's chewed, probably does release some dust. Yet another reason to stay away from this. And beyond that, chalk?? You do realize your rats may end up digesting some of that? I can't imagine what that could do in the long run. Can't be good. :(

Another point I wanted to make... In your original post, you basically said, "If it's good for the birds, it should be fine for rats!" Birds and rats are two completely different species, with completely different needs. To assume that because something is good for one, it's good for the other? Not a good idea. Birds and rats have NOTHING in common... Absolutely nothing. Less than dogs and cats, even. Heck, that's on par with, maybe, fish and rabbits having something in common! 8O

One thing I don't think anyone touched much on, is what seems to be you thinking (it seems from what you've said) pet stores are a good authority on what is good for pets. I honestly hope you don't really believe that. Pet stores are notorious for employing (generally, not as a rule) people who don't know jack about any animals, and will be more than happy to load your cart up with plenty of items you don't need. Why? Because pet stores care about the money in your pocket, and hope to drain you of as much as possible. They do not care about your animal. They sell plenty of products that are downright dangerous. Just to name a few, there's cedar and pine bedding, which NO small animal should EVER be exposed to, and yet, that's what they push on new owners. Along with seed mixes for all small animals (including guinea pigs, and that's almost worst than rats eating seed mixes, as cavies NEED vit. c to keep them healthy and alive!). There's the "fluff" bedding, marketed for hamsters, which has caused loss of limbs and death (from ingestion) in... bet you can't guess... hamsters. Then, there's the fact that they push the "salt licks" for all small animals, even though almost none NEED it (and certainly don't benefit from EXTRA SALT). Don't get me started on the marketing of tiny cages to animals that NEED, require, even, a lot more space.

There are many products found in pet shops that claim they're for (and great for) all sorts of animals, but some can even cause physical harm. NEVER trust a package. NEVER trust a pet store employee.

Beyond that, I don't understand why you kept insisting everyone ask their vets. We are all in agreement here, you are not. One would think that you would be the one to ask your vet. :) Who, of course, is an exotics vet with at least some extra knowledge and evolving interest (and study) in rats, right?

We are not here to coddle, we are here for the rats. Some of us have invested our lives in the wellbeing of these creatures. If you seek advice and then refuse to believe what you've been advised, and continue to insist you are right and insulting those who tried to help in the first place, are you really shocked that people may (and as already mentioned, the internet doesn't show tone, so make sure you're not misreading!) get a little annoyed when you keep harping on you being right, or you're going to do this anyway, and blah blah blah? Who's being the adult here? You say everyone isn't, but frankly? Neither are you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts