Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to everyone....this is my first post on this site, I really need some advice.
I've been keeping rats for just over 5 years and have never seen such aggressive behaviour. I have two dumbo boys aged 18 months , afew months ago i tried to introduce a 4 month old boy to them. It was a complete disaster, after alot of huffing and puffing one of the dunbos attacked the newbie , which resulted in a nasty gash and a large vet bill. I have since kept them apart, i now have a very aggressive rat. he has started to attack me now, with quite severe bites! i'm very confused, why has my cuddly boy turned on me? :cry: Any advice would be most welcome.........Thanks

·
Registered
527 Posts
did you follow the proper steps for introducing them? (i.e. switching their cages, introducing them on neutral territory,etc.) and are the older boys neutered?
rats consider other rats to be adults when they're three months old, so maybe that's why they weren't accepting of him as they thought a strange adult male suddenly showed up?
if he's alone, it's very likely that he will start having behavioral problems (hence the biting), so you should try to re-introduce him to some ratty friends soon.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Your situation is a bit unclear but as jellybeanqueen said if he's alone still you should try to re-introduce him to a friend. Doing proper introductions and having patience usually pay off in the end.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi again, i'll try and explain a little better. The 2 dumbos, Milo and luca have been with me from 7 weeks old , always have been loving and cuddly.Ziggy was a rescue from RSPCA( aged approx 4 months). I tried the neutral territory, the cages next to each other, all the ususal things, but Luca will have Ziggy no where near him.So on the vets advice i have since kept them apart, Ziggy has a new playmate and they are quite happy! so basically i have 2 sets of 2 unneutered boys.
The problem is that since the new rats have joined the household, Luca has become so aggressive.Is he just jealous ? I am being very careful not to handle the others before i touch Luca, but he just keeps attacking me!!!!
I am becoming terrified of him, each time i go near the cage he puffs himself up and huffs at me :cry: ,What have i done wrong? hope thats a little clearer, any advice would be most grateful

·
Registered
219 Posts
Rats are having VERY sensitive noses. Once i found out that one of my rats hater one kind of soap, he puffed and fuffed and tried to bite the things which were washed with it. So i throwed that soap away. Even three months later he puffed, although the things were washed by several times meantime.

The point is that rat still feels the smell of other rat.

In other forums its said that neutering will cool such rats down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts