Rat Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been more than a month now and the rat was humanely put to sleep...but a weird question. I was working In a pet store. There was a rat In the overstock area who was starting to fail. Bleary eyes, staggering. He was put into isolation but I cared for him daily. Then his paws began to change color. From orangey to almost blood red. In fact they looked like they were bleeding. His feet and paws became so red and swollen he couldn't walk anymore. It took them two weeks to get the store vet in there to look at him. She left antibiotic and instructions to hand feed him.

I was the only one who would baby a rat so they told me to take him home. He greedily ate anything I fed him and water too. I took him to my vet who was horrified he was allowed to waste to the condition he was in. By the next day he stopped eating and I took him back to the vet to be put down. Poor guy, I did what I could. The vet even sent a handwritten note. But then a few days later I got a small rash on one hand. That went from orange to deep red. I was in bed for two days feeling like holy heck, fever...then on the third day I was better and the mark on my hand disappeared.

Any idea what happened there and what was wrong with that poor rat? and no I don't work at that store anymore and I reported them.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts