Rat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girls curl there tails over and to the left when they're running about... is this normal? Is there cage too small... is this just habit for them because they're crowded? I have done cage calculations and it says my cage will suit 2.5 even 3 rats on some sites. It's a Martin's cage 18"x24"x18" I believe.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'll second the wheelie tails. Non of my girls ever developed them, but one of Twitch's girls has it, and I find it insanely cute XD

·
Registered
549 Posts
reachthestars: I just wanted to tell you that I think Maddie is absolutely adorable, I smile and say oooo! every time I see her pic :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Definitely sounds like wheelie tail. I think it's harmless, it's just how they've grown used to holding their tail. :)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Nope, no harm to the rats

but I've heard stories from others who have rats with wheel-tail say that you have to be careful about getting your eyeball poked by their tail tip when shoulder surfing

·
Registered
520 Posts
I love it!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I have wheel obsessed girls but I have them in a 15 inch wheel so no flippy tails

I'm still having a hard time finding a larger wheel for my boys because even the 15 inch wheel is too darn small for one of them

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The girls I mentioned use a 12-inch wheel (actually a Wobust Wodent Wheel, which they run 2-3 at a time in) which is more than big enough for them. I, personally don't believe that's the problem, I think it's how often they're running in the wheel. At least, that's my theory. They're the only girls with an extreme passion for wheels - running about 90% of their awake time, no kidding, and they're the only girls that have wheelie tail. I have other girls (a bit larger) that love the wheel (they use Comfort Wheels, which I believe are also 12"), but they're not in it all the time, like the 5 girls and don't have wheelie tail.

That's my thought, anyhow.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I totally agree...my obsessive wheelrunners end up with a wheelie tail no matter what size the wheel...my runners that aren't as obsessed carry their tail wheely style when they get off but it soon turns back to normal :)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Kismet has had a curly tail ever since she was about 7 or 8 weeks old, and the 11" wheel she started in was more than big enough for her tiny self. All of my girls run, and even the bigger girls who prefer the 11" wheel over the 12" don't have a curled tail. My biggest girl only runs in the 12", and she runs constantly, and has a slightly curled tail. Kismet has never run nearly as much, and her tail is always curled up tightly.

So who knows why some get wheelie tails and some don't? Just one of those mysteries! ^_^

·
Registered
443 Posts
Kismet's wheelie tail is sooo cute! :)

Of my four girls only two are wheel runners and only one has wheelie tail. Go figure. :roll:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
these sisters are DEFINITELY obsessive wheel runners, to the extreme that they will wait turns to use the wheel at night (this is after they learned the hard way that two rats in two different directions, in one wheel won't get them far)... they've had a wheel since they were old enough to be taken from there mother. i believe it's a 10" wodent wheel. good to know it's not a problem. never had the eye incident while shoulder surfing (well then again I wear glasses now) but I do occasionally get a tail tip in the mouth or nose.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts