Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Ok, so I started building a custom cage out of an old shelf, for Kari and her upcoming sister.

Pictures: http://s124.photobucket.com/user/manga-anime_girl10/library/Rat Stuff/Cage

The length between the two white shelves are about seventeen, seventeen and a half inches (a little over a foot and a half).

My original plan was to put only one between the them (making four floors total) but now I'm wondering if I should do three (making six floors)?

Example: http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p7/manga-anime_girl10/Rat Stuff/Cage/IMG_0445_2_zps8aff6f46.jpg

I know rats like to climb and jump, etc, but also trying to think for when they get older and things get harder on them.

And yes, they'll be able to be able to move between all levels (I'll be cutting holes in the plastic).

So yeah. I hope I covered everything and it's understandable. Dx I've been told I'm bad at explaining things. I:

Thanks for reading and can't wait for the help! >.< <3

·
Registered
664 Posts
I actually think it looks great without shelves in it! If you add too many shelves they might not have enough room to stand up. I hope I got that right. Is that what you were getting at with the black lines in the example pictures? For reference the Petco Rat Manor is 32" high and only has one full level and two small levels. Maybe you could break it up a bit and add half levels instead?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I think just 4 floors should be fine. 51/2 inches might be a little tight, and you might find a cool cage accessory and then it be too tall. It looks like it's coming along great so far though

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to measurements, it's total (3 ft) is about/almost the same as a single-unit Ferret Nation Cage.
Which I haven't seen in person but doesn't sound right at all? [I think the site is also counting the frame that the FNC sits on as well, so really it'll be the size of a two-unit FNC.]

But ok, so maybe just half shelves would be better. I still need to make hammocks too. @[email protected]

Which I also know this seems HUGE for just two rats (I'm thinking about adding to the top and bottom as well), but I also plan on using this cage for Rat Rescue in the future. And the sections can always be blocked off from each other as well.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
i wouldnt put half shelves in at all. Instead i would back it worth mesh panals and design some front vertical pillars which would then let you add hammocks and such between the levels. You can then use branches and ropes to give them more climbing space. This way you will have a cage which is much more flexible layout and let you change more each time. You can also hang baskets and cat litter trays to create additional levels. When they are older you just make things more stable and closer packed together. My old rats tend to manage very well in a much more open style cage with no easy ramps. By making it more of a challenge for them you help them keep mobile. Make it to easy and they lose it that much faster.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts