Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all rat lovers! I am in Fallbrook, CA, San Diego County...it seems someone's pet rats have moved into my yard. black and white and they eat my rabbit food. The neighbors have Vector Control knocking on my door and they have put out poison. I hate to see the one rat left killed, it seems so sweet and smart. I do hear what seems to be babies in a nest too under logs back there. Is anyone in the area who loves rats that can help me? Thank you!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
You can buy safe traps that do not kill them only catch them. Try leaving a few traps out and see if u can catch them. If you catch the mom you can look under the log and see if u can see any babies then grab them too.

Then maybe see if you can talk to local rescues and see if anyone can help find them homes.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Actually, you might just offer the mom a treat and see if she comes to you, but don't try and pick her up until you are very certain she is a domestic rat... Wild rats can inbreed with domestic rats and the second generation offspring can look pretty domestic like.

In the photo below one of the rats is a domestic rat that loved everyone, and did meet and greets with hundreds of children and adults, she even entertained at handicapped children's events... the other rat was part wild and would tear your hands to shreds if she didn't know you and you tried to pick her up... She was raised by my daughter in the photo but then lived outside on her own for 5 months prior to this photo being taken...

Face Nose Eyebrow Cheek Head

If you don't think you can tell which is which... don't try and handle the rats in your yard... get someone who knows what they are doing to trap the rats for you... The pups are even more likely to be part wild... they can become pets if they get enough love and attention by the right human before they are too old to become too dangerous to handle.

Perhaps someone local to you can help or put you in touch with a rat rescue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts