Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My step-mom mentioned a few days ago that my room was starting to smell. I really haven't noticed it, but she had a heightened sense of smell and I can pretty much barely smell anything, so... XD I was wondering if there was any way to cut down on this? I keep my window open all day to increase air flow in my room, I washed everything in their cage last Friday and they are fairly consistent on using their litter box (Which is filled with unscented Yesterday's News pellets). I have a Critter Nation cage that I user fleece liner on with a sort of diaper material underneath to soak up pee. They are fed Oxbow Regal Rat and I do my best to supplement them with protein and vegetables but I will be honest and say that I may not have been giving them enough. I'm finding it difficult to find protein foods that aren't used in our cooking and therefore not having spices and stuff thrown all over it. I did get my dad to buy me some peas for them but I know they can't live entirely off of plant protein, so I've been trying to find decent chicken and beef that isn't too salty for them. Any suggestions there that I may not have realized?

I have also noticed that Dela is starting to stink a bit. Am I not washing their cage enough or is it possible they are peeing all over their hammock and then laying in it? Should I wipe Dela down with baby wipes to try and clean her a bit and replace the hammock with a clean one? Thank you for reading! :3

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Hammocks can really hold smell, so wash those. I'd also wipe the rats themselves down.

My only other thing would be the supplementing. Unless your rats are young, oxbow shouldn't be supplemented as it is a nutritiously complete block. Too much protein can make smelly rats.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are pretty young. I bought them from a pet store about two weeks ago. I'd say Dela's about 11 weeks, give or take and Neera's about 6 weeks, give or take. (Both ages estimated from what the pet store said and a size/age chart). I just smelled their hammocks and they actually smell pretty clean... Their litter box seems to be the smelliest thing, unless it's their liners? Would a pee rock be beneficial if it's the liners?

·
Registered
149 Posts
A pee rock couldn't hurt. You could also try changing out the litter box and/or pee pads more often. I know I change my fleece every two days because even with three girls it already starts to smell by that point. Boys I might change slightly less often, but I believe the person I got the every two days thing from had boys and did just fine. Last Friday could actually be quite a long time for fleece since it's so dang absorbent :p You could also try soaking any hammocks/feece floor coverings, etc in vinegar before washing to cut down on the smell since detergent alone doesn't usually cut it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay. My biggest problem is that I can't wash my fleece and everything as often as I would like because we're always using the washing machine. I'll have to cut more liners and start replacing them more often and just holding onto the dirty ones until I can wash again. I'll also get a pee rock set up. My poor smelly ratties XD Thank you both! :3 I'll keep you guys updated and see if it cuts back smell. ^-^

·
Registered
955 Posts
You could get a plastic bin with a lid and leave the old liners in there until wash day. Maybe even spray them with a spray bottle of vinegar. That way they won't be stinking up the place while you wait to wash them.

I find that giving the cage bars a wipe, especially in 'high traffic' areas that they climb a lot helps as the pee gets in between the bars and old pee really smells. Also mine splatter the wall behind the cage, I have a plastic board that protects my paintwork and it gets nasty after a week so check around your cage too.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
My top tip would be to get rid of the shelves. These tend to be where rats pee and even with fleece and liners they can get whiffy fast. Instead get a few cheap plastic cat litter trays. You can add holes in each corner and hange them up in the cage. Then put some yeasterdays news in them. This will means that they can pee on them whenever they want and the smell will be well managed. If its any use i have an SRS (same size/style as a double critter nation) and i have 2 cat litter trays hung around the cage with a deep layer of substrate on the floor (keeps smells down better than fleece, which isnt that good really). I had to make a deeper tray to keep it in the cage but it works well.

Next tip would be to make sure you give the bars a regular clean with warm soapy water, urine builds up in the joins and this can add to the smell over time.

Another tip would be to look into a fresh air globe, you can add a couple drops of essential oils into it to mask smells but it also seems to clean the air a bit as well as hydrate it

In terms of diet, your older girl probably doesnt need loads of extras now, though your baby does and it wont hurt your older girl if shes not chubby. I would look for some small tins of cat food, go for the nautral ranges or those with a high meat content. These are great as 1 tin does 2 rats well. I tend to give one every couple of days at 6 weeks, dropping to 2 a week the next week and then down to when they need it at about 10 weeks. Its worth noting though that extra protien and veg does make there poo smell more strongly.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I used to line my cage with fleece but now I use newspaper because I can really see when I need to clean the cage. I also discovered that my boys pee a lot by their water bottle/food bowl so I had to put newspaper there. If you're feeling lazy or just don't have have time you can add some baking soda to their litter box and that should absorb some of the smell.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm a wardrober for theatre & we use a 50/50 dilution of vodka (the cheapest in the store) & water and spray that to deodorize. It works better than vinegar from my experience, & I've had to use that stuff on some sweat soaked suit coats that we weren't able to put in the washer. They smelled normal by the next day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts