Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , I was just wondering how often rats need their teeth cutting as I have heard some horror storys of them growing so long they puncture the poor rattys brain 8O
Ive had my girls for around 9 months and 3 months respectively.
I have a mineral block and various chew toys for them to keep thier teeth down naturally.
Is this enough or is teeth cutting a necessity after a while ?
Also any advice on gauging how long is "too long" would be great.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Rats grind their own teeth down, there's no need for cutting.

Usually. There are some rat whose teeth get/started out misaligned and then you DO have to cut them, in which case you should probably go see a vet the first time, and then maybe you could try it on your own after that. But unless that's your girls, there's no need to worry!

I've heard that horror story too, people like to tell it but it's not (usually) actually true. All most rats need is nice hard food every once in a while (usually lab blocks are fine, if you are worried you could try feeing chicken bones), and they'll take care of the rest with their natural mouth movements.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool , thanks for the advice.They get plenty of spare rib bones etc to chew on aswell as their regular food nuggets which i can hear them grateing away at , so I guess theyll be fine.
Ill still keep an out just incase though :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts