Rat Forum banner

Cyst, round 2

Tags
cyst surgery
310 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  SonicRat 
#1 ·
One of my boys, Billy, had a cyst on his throat a while ago. We got him on antibiotics and anti-inflammatories and it went away before the end of the month. However, since it wasn't properly removed in a procedure, it simply popped on its own and I expelled what I could, but obviously couldn't remove the sac. It has since returned (caught it earlier this time and it's not yet swollen too large like before) and I know what to expect, but I'm not sure whether it would really be worth finding a vet willing to put him under and remove the sac once and for all to prevent it coming back again. The last vet said they would sooner suppress the cyst with medication and/or euthanise humanely than risk surgery and I don't know how much it would cost to have such a procedure done. I obviously don't want him to keep having a cyst come back over and over, but again surgery on such a small animal in such a delicate area isn't what I would prefer to have done. Has anyone dealt with a rat with a similar problem?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.