Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Newbie here. Scouring the forums for answers but haven't been able to find this particular question yet. Are rats susceptible to other animals ailments? I had Guinea Pigs for many years before thisand there were certain animals that could communicate sickness between them and not others.

The reason why I ask in this thread instead of a health thread is because of the following. I currently have a decent sized cage for my two girls. However I'm always on the lookout for something better I can afford. Right now I just can't afford a Critter or Ferret Nation cage eventhough that would be amazing. Anyhow. I somewhat often see very large used bird cages at our thrift store which have all the correct bar spacing, no wire on the floor etc. Would i be running any risk of my rats getting any sickness from a bird cage? Are there communicable diseases between rats and birds?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Welcome Jennifer! :)

I don't believe so, especially if you thoroughly clean it beforehand (with bleach!) and it isn't in terrible condition (ie. powdercoating is worn off). There are some communicable viruses with small animals, like SDA and Sendai, but the incubation period on inanimate objects is short (3 hours). As far as birds go, I don't think there's anything transmissible between the two, especially something that would be viable on a cage long after it had been used.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.