Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Rat Forum!

So I'm Daniel, and I've had my rats for... approximately 3 days. So far they are wonderfully adorable and I'm already seeing very distinct personalities emerge. Little 3 week Hef is courageous, fearless, and completely without any fear. 5 week old Toku is shy and quiet, but so very curious about life outside his cage. 5 week old Gandalf seems to be the alpha rat of the bunch (he forcefully grooms the others after pinning them), but is much more reserved with humans than rats (and a lot less curious so far).

Every day things are different so far, but one thing stays the same: I make mistakes every single day :p At least I'm learning from them!

Sunday:
Mistake I made: Not enough bedding for the new ratlings.
What learned: Cutting up some old shirts made some pretty good bedsheets for these days

Monday:
Mistake I made: Pulling the scary-rats out too early from the pen and putting them back in the cage too quickly.
What I learned: Let them have the chance to come out first, and be gentle when taking them out. Wearing a hoodie is great since they can hide in the hood or pockets and be less afrad

Tuesday:
Mistake I made: Too many treats too early
What I learned: A rat pooping on you isn't too bad... unless they had too many treats. Then it is kind of gross. Also hyped up rats can bounce around their cage like rubber balls.

I'm looking forward to getting off of work so I can go home, make another mistake, and learn something new in the process :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi Daniel,

It's so great to see your learning curve. Please keep posting these! :)

Another thing about the poop-a-matic machines. ;) They also poop when they are nervous/scared/excited. That may also be a reason you were met with an abundance of gifts!

I had placed my boys in their carrier in the other room while I cleaned the cage. When I returned to retrieve them, there were at least a dozen coco-pellets. Ew. :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Oh...and bouncing around usually indicates happy rats and is usually termed "popcorning". :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
This post is cute, I'm glad you're enjoying your new fur babies. :3

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Popcorning, a very good term I think. It's pretty much what it looked like. It just took me by surprise. I didn't think they should really be able to move like that :p

And I will keep it up. We will see tonight what kind of damage I can do when I get home to the boys. The boyfriend is home with them today keeping an eye on them. I think he plans to let them crawl in his hoodie while he works on his fish tank.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yes, Oliver popcorns more than Barry. He especially likes it if I grab his tush and then have my hand act like a rat and "scamper away". He will tackle it. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sounds really cute. My guys are still a little young for that sadly. I'm looking forward to this kind of play with them <3

·
Registered
272 Posts
Just re-read your post. Yes...three weeks! Just a baby! Do you have to give him any type of formula? Or is he eating solid food already?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Yes, Oliver popcorns more than Barry. He especially likes it if I grab his tush and then have my hand act like a rat and "scamper away". He will tackle it. :)
One of my rats does this.. he doesn't tackle, though. He humps! Such a little turd...

·
Registered
272 Posts
One of my rats does this.. he doesn't tackle, though. He humps! Such a little turd...
ROFL! Quite the casanova ;)

Ollie doesn't "tackle" per se... but he sort of lurches at my hands...then he realizes it's a hand and scampers away but spins around. He wants more play. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just re-read your post. Yes...three weeks! Just a baby! Do you have to give him any type of formula? Or is he eating solid food already?
He has been weaned, but I think just. He can't do the water bottle so I put water out for him. I have pellets for young rats and mice, and he seems to be eating those. He also loves the little extras he gets, especially broccoli. He just nibbles off the little flowers. We weren't going to take him, but the lady we got them from said he was so attached to the other two she didn't want them separated.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Animals have a 8 week period from birth where they will accept most new things. As you have them so young, you are lucky enough to get to shape that period. I would urge you to expose them to different people and noises so you end up with lovely balanced little ratties. It sounds like you've got off to a great start if they are already popcorning about! ;D

·
Registered
272 Posts
He has been weaned, but I think just. He can't do the water bottle so I put water out for him. I have pellets for young rats and mice, and he seems to be eating those. He also loves the little extras he gets, especially broccoli. He just nibbles off the little flowers. We weren't going to take him, but the lady we got them from said he was so attached to the other two she didn't want them separated.
Okay...now I MUST see photos. :) I bet he's adorable!

·
Registered
941 Posts
ROFL! Quite the casanova ;)

Ollie doesn't "tackle" per se... but he sort of lurches at my hands...then he realizes it's a hand and scampers away but spins around. He wants more play. :)
Lol, I'm just glad he humps rather than bites due to his hormones! The others just hump each other, or ocassionally my dog's paw. x3

I could do without that 'poking' though.:$

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay...now I MUST see photos. :) I bet he's adorable!
Child Hand Neck Baby Art
He is very adorable. This is the picture I posted in another thread (but here it is again). This is the Sunday we got him, and he just marched out of his cage and all over everyone. Here is the boyfriend holding him.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Oh my gosh! Look at that wee little thing!

You need a photo of him in a teacup! ;) If it's a Christmas-pattern, you have your 2015 Christmas cards! ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wednesday
Mistake I made: Put Toku on my shoulder as soon as he was comfortable with me
What I learned: Rats seem to like to burrow in long hair. I wear my hair a little longer (about shoulder length) and Toku was AMAZED to be in He kept moving around and burrowing. I think I need a haircut.

Also: we took both scaredy boys out of their cage for about half hour sessions where they were snuggled, cuddled, petted, and comforted by us while they spazzing and settled down. This was the first time, despite the fact that he was frantic for a while, that Toku didn't lay any scared poops or frightened pees on me! Especially lucky since he was in my hair :p

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh my gosh! Look at that wee little thing!

You need a photo of him in a teacup! ;) If it's a Christmas-pattern, you have your 2015 Christmas cards! ;)
No christmas pattern, but I can promise cutesy pictures this weekend :p

And holy cow they grow fast. His face is already looking more ratty and less mousey, and t has only been 3 days.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I love this thread. :)

My rats love my hair - it's about a third of the way down my back, and I fully understand what the phrase "your hair looks like a rat's nest" now haha.

That's something that I find so crazy, how fast they grow and change.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts