Rat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jojo has been sneezing and wheezing a lot lately it hasn't been that bad till tonight. He's still very active and was even trying to explore outside of the cage but since my room isn't rat proofed yet I couldn't let him. I want to take him into the vet tomorrow but I don't know if I can and it's too late to call right now so I have to wait till morning. I've heard numerous time small doses of dark chocolate can help a bit. And I was just wondering about how much I should give him and cocoa %..

·
Registered
444 Posts
It should be at least 70% cocoa and I give mine a fingernail sized bit, but I have found that natural honey also works and they prefer it because it is sweeter :)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately I don't think we have any natural honey but I can go look. I managed to find some dove dark chocolate I just don't know the % about to google it though

·
Registered
444 Posts
I told you the percentage before :) And yeah I'd go with a tiny bit of both, it cleared up Sunny when he had the sniffles. Be careful with the honey because it's very sticky and they freak out if it gets on their whiskers...funny to watch but it makes them cautious of it. I put a bit on a plate on the floor of the bathroom and let him discover it himself.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What I meant is dark chocolates tend to have varyings percentages of Cocoa depending on the brand. So I just wanted to make sure dove dark chocolate was above 70% I gave him a bit of the dark chocolate and he seems to be doing better. If it acts up again I'll go grab a spoon and feed him some honey.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Unless he's struggling to breath from his chest dark chocolate wont help, its a bronchial dilator, so makes the airways in the lungs enlarge slightly, which is why it can help when a rat is seriously chesty and struggling to breath (and you want over 70% ideally). If your rat is just sneezing rather than making grunty or chesty noises then its not going to make a difference as that is likley to be an irritation of the nasal passage or an infection of them.

Honey is a bit different, its a natural antibiotic, but is only really effective in contact with the issue, meaning its brilliant to put on open wounds or abcesses, but not a replacement for an oral antibiotic like baytril. Your also better with manuka honey than standard stuff if possible.

I would recommend keeping some echancacia drops in for those kind of occasions, its an immune system booster and more likley to make a difference. As much as rats like both honey and dark chocolate they are high sugar, so best kept for when they are going to help the rat

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know what's going on with Jojo it sounded more nasally but the bit of dark chocolate seems to help a lot. I have no clue what echanacia drops are or where to get them, suggestions? I would ask my mom since she is a (human) nurse but she might not know of it if it's an animal exclusive thing. (+ she's asleep considering its 5:20 am)

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
the dark choc might have helped by getting him to settle and quiten down, sneezing tends to happen more when they are racing around and breathing fast.

Echanacia is a herbal remedy sold for humans, over here you get it from health food shops, if you can get a version for kids as it doesnt have alcohol in it. Your mum will probably know of it, its a herbal rememdy so not an alternative to vets but one that has some fairly good studies backing it up being useful.

For rats the doseage is one drop per rat per day, most will just lick it up but you can also add it to there water or food. You can use it preventatively if you ahve regular breaks (3 weeks on, 1 week off) but to be honest i tend to use it if the rat has the odd niggle but not enough to need to see the vet.

Your best method of telling if its chesty is to lightly touch his chest for a few mins, i find i can feel chesty vibrations earlier than my ears can pick them up. Nasal sneezing is normally more dusty enviroment, stress and excitement or a reaction to the heating system coming on (common this time of year in the uk). I dont tend to take them to the vet for that, but i am also comfortable that i will pick up on any worsening symptoms early on. I've got a reputation at my vets for picking things up from gut feel before they can detect anything

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It had been going on for awhile and benydril seems to keep it down but last night it was just an extreme spike in sneezing and wheezing that benydril would do nothing for. I took him in today and the vet said he sounded clear in his chest and she prescribed some doxy which I am not really happy with since I don't think they seem to grasp the citrus flavor of it isn't good for male rats...

·
Registered
320 Posts
It had been going on for awhile and benydril seems to keep it down but last night it was just an extreme spike in sneezing and wheezing that benydril would do nothing for. I took him in today and the vet said he sounded clear in his chest and she prescribed some doxy which I am not really happy with since I don't think they seem to grasp the citrus flavor of it isn't good for male rats...
If it's just citrus flavoring, with no actual d-Limonene, it will be fine. Doxy is often used for URIs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts