Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you've been following this, you know my Dash was diagnosed with lung tumors back in September when I took her in to have the tumor on her side examined. She's still a little under weight, but her breathing seems better and although he growth of her side tumor was slowed dramatically, it's still growing. I'm not sure if surgery is right for her or not, but I figure if it keeps growing it will get to the point where I'll have to have her put down, and if she dies during surgery it would be as painless as the other way. Surgery won't be before the holidays if I do have it. i'm getting the opinion of a second vet. This clinic was recomended to me by a friend who runs a rat rescue. I checked their site and they seem to know a lot about exotics. They even used a special oxygen tank for my friend's rat who had respiratory issues, something no vet thought of when mine had the same problem. So I'm fairly sure at least they'll be able to say whether or not surgery is an option. Hope this goes well and Dash has some more time. She's already lived well past what was expected.

·
Registered
555 Posts
If you've been following this, you know my Dash was diagnosed with lung tumors back in September when I took her in to have the tumor on her side examined. She's still a little under weight, but her breathing seems better and although he growth of her side tumor was slowed dramatically, it's still growing. I'm not sure if surgery is right for her or not, but I figure if it keeps growing it will get to the point where I'll have to have her put down, and if she dies during surgery it would be as painless as the other way. Surgery won't be before the holidays if I do have it. i'm getting the opinion of a second vet. This clinic was recomended to me by a friend who runs a rat rescue. I checked their site and they seem to know a lot about exotics. They even used a special oxygen tank for my friend's rat who had respiratory issues, something no vet thought of when mine had the same problem. So I'm fairly sure at least they'll be able to say whether or not surgery is an option. Hope this goes well and Dash has some more time. She's already lived well past what was expected.
I hope everything turns out okay for her. Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Best of luck! I'm having the same struggle now with deciding on whether or not to operate on a senior rat to remove a large tumor.. Dash has been doing great with your care, and I'm sure she has the best chance she could possibly have with pulling through. With the extra care from this good vet, she probably has a very good chance on pulling through it and recovering! Please keep us updated, I'll be thinking of you and Dash.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts