Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night Dax caught her toes in the mesh near the ladder of her cage. (Seems to be a lot of that going around, huh). She Screamed and when I came out to see she was dangling just a tiny bit over the floor of her cage by one toe. Before I could open the cage to get to her, she's gotten free.

Her toes are all there, and all the same shape as far as I can tell. Two back toes are red and a little swollen. The nail of one looks bruised and has a white spot (like the kind you get on your own finger nails if they get banged). She walks on them, cleans them, and scratches with them. She does jerk or yell when I touch or move them (well, more than usual, she has never approved of her toes being touched). There is no blood and the toes don't feel hotter or colder than the other ones.

I am keeping the cage cleaned and removed the top story for now. She bruxes and moves and eats normally. Any thing else I should be doing?

We tried taking a picture... difficult when she doesn't want to hold still long enough to focus. Here is the best I have:
http://ratforum.com/coppermine/displayimage/album=161/pos=7.html

·
Registered
155 Posts
try holding her close to you chest and kinda lift up her front paws. get someone else to take the picture.

on my computer there is a small box with a x .

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Aww bless her, she's definately got a couple of swollen toesies there.

If she's walking on them and using them normally, I wouldn't worry too much. It's probably jus a bruise or a sprain :) Toes are usually good at swelling, as they have a high blood supply. Keep an eye on it though.

To me, it sounds like you've done all you need to. :)

And I think you're right - there is a lot of it going around lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts