Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how many of you have a different cage for your rats to use during the day/when you're working. I have a Critter Nation upstairs and a smaller cage that I bring downstairs sometimes for them when we're cleaning the CN, when they're sick, and when I know I'll be spending most of my day down here. My family likes to have them around us, especially on the weekends when everyone is home. It lets them interact with the entire family and also lets me watch them more closely when they're sick.

Besides that, they are fighting less intensely. In the CN, they will have violent brawls multiple times every night (no blood). In the spare cage they wrestle, but they only have a real spat every once in a while. I wonder why this is?!

Right now they're staying in the "day cage" down here with me until we clean out the upstairs and bring all of our moving boxes into the attic. My parents moved a few months ago, and then about a month and a half ago I came home from college and still have a few junk boxes that need to be sifted through. It was getting pretty dusty and I figured that since they already have respiratory issues, I needed to move them downstairs until we can get everything up and out.

Does anyone else do something similar? My girls are too precocious to let them free range with me all of the time, so I figure this is the next best thing to having them constantly out in the open. The only problem is, the doors don't latch shut as well, and this morning I was taking off after two rats who had escaped from the cage, both going opposite directions!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been thinking about doing something like this. I can't give my rats free run of the house due to an oversized hyperactive puppy who is a little too enthusiastic, so I wanted to create some additional safe spaces for our girls in other parts of the house. That way I can still spend time with them when I can't be in the free range area. I think I am also going to set up a bonding pouch.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have a small cage in the living room. (their main cages are in my bedroom) I mostly use it for when I'm cleaning their cage and want them in a safe place that they can be unattended. I have another big qc cage but I have it in the laundry room and I'm using it to store rat bedding and toys. If I get rid of some junk around here I'll probably set it up as a usable cage as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My boy lives solo now so I do a similar thing so he can be with my at all times. It's a large carrier cage and I bring him to work with me in it and everything :) it's also great for everyones cage cleaning day lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts