Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody from the area ever listen to elliot in the morning? i listen to him all the time but 2 weeks ago i was at work listening to the radio in the truck and he starts talking about rats, then callers start calling in and they started discussing how to kill them if you see them and telling people they carry the black plague and theyll kill you...so disgusting that they did that on the air. just whats needed...bunch of people running around killing rats thinking theyre gonna catch the black plague...haha that was a looooong time ago...not gonna catch the plague anymore. freakin idiots.

boycott dc101! haha...

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
weeellll... wild rats, prarie dogs, and bats can still carry plague. but i do hear your point that that was completely unnecessary for them to put something like that one the air. NO loving rat owners called in to complain? i would have been the first one there. :x

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
That's such a stupid myth. FLEAS were the cause of plagues, and rats were not the only carriers. Dogs, cats and even humans were modes of transportation for the fleas to spread the disease.

HUGE pet peeve of mine. If you're going to hate something - especially an animal - at least know the facts!!

Grrrr!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think every animal comes with it's own little stereotype, whether or not it is true. Cats smother babies, all dogs will at one point turn on you, sharks always kill people, spiders will bite you, bears will attack you and snakes will poison you.

The thing is, a lot of the time it's true. If your child has an allergy you're not aware of, your cat may well smother it. If your dog is badly brought up, abused in a former home, sickly, etc, it may turn on you. If you swim next to a shark in the ocean, you may easily become food. If you surprise a spider, it may bite you, if you startle a bear, it may attack you, if you threaten a snake, it may bite and poison you.

The problem with rats is that so many prejudices have followed it throughout time. Rats were a major carrier of the plague in the past because of the fleas they carried. Why rats? Because there are more rats than there are dogs, cats, and people.

Wild rats are also something to rightfully be careful of. When attacking, rats (like many animals) will instinctively go for the jugular vein. They know how to kill you. They, like all wild animals, also carry an array of parasites and diseases.

If I were to see a roof rat in my home, I'm not sure I wouldn't kill it. It's tough, but rodents invade quickly and cause a lot of damage. When I was 12 years old I was kicked out of my foster home for insulting my foster father and shoving him after I had complained about the cruel way he disposed of mice that were caught in the house. I still hate him for the way he treated animals, and I still think he is sick. But now that I am living on my own I have been through what it is to deal with rodent infestations. They wreak havoc. You would not believe the damage that they can do unless you have had the problem. I have tunnels running throughout my entire apartment with multiple holes to each room. I come out in the morning and mice jump out of my garbage can and run under my stove. Traps don't even work any more, they're too smart for them.

Imagine a rat infestation. Like mice, only bigger and smarter.

They don't just wander around, either. They get into your clothes, your bed, everything. I had a friend tell me yesterday about a friend of his living in Toronto who actually leaves out food so the rats will stay away from him in the night. We all own rats here. It is foolish to think that a rat that wanders around on your floor can't get into your bed. I've shaken mice droppings out of my sheets. Mice and rats don't creep me out, so I don't really care, it doesn't get to me. All the same, mice are up there on my list of reasons for moving out of this house.

As a final note, as a rat owner, if you see wild rats in your house, I can not believe that you would not want it gone as quickly as possible. The mice in my house actually steal food from my rats. The bar spacing on the cage is such that they can squeeze through and get at the food. They used to scale the stand and steal food from my love birds as well. If your food dish is anywhere near the edge of the cage, I can see wild rats being clever enough to fish it out, and I can see my fancy rats getting parasites from wild ones.

I have to say, if I saw a wild rat in my home I'd be setting traps.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i agree wench. wild rats are not the loveable creatures that our pets are. for example, some researchers in russia tried to breed the wild silver fox for tameness, and nothing else. what they ended up with more closely resembled a border collie dog. goes to show that the cuteness of our rats is not just a coincidence, it's because their cuteness genes are tied in with their behavioral genes.

anyway, what i think i was getting at before i hardcore ADD-ed was that even though we are loving animal owners, there is no way that we could catch all the wild rats and give them flea treatments, so that's why the majority of people have a social stigma against rats in general. it's because a lot of wild rats DO still carry the fleas and parasites that can get us sick. the plauge is not as big a deal today because of the medical care that is so easily available to most people of modern countries. here in colorado though, a couple years ago, people were getting the plague from their dogs who brought prairie dog fleas in with them. i'll stick with my weak little ghost of a wild rat, thank you. :)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I more don't like that people think it's the rats - and only the rats - that caused the plague (not fleas, but the rats themselves). Other then that, I agree... Wild rats aren't something I want in my house, especially since I have pet rats (and a mouse). Although, if I had wild rats/mice in my home, I would humanely trap and release them somewhere safe.

Rats get a bad rap because people won't educate themselves. Of course, any wild animal isn't something you really want to get too cozy with. But it doesn't hurt to educate yourself on what's true and what isn't. Wild rats are no worse then any other wild animal. That's all I'm saying.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i def wouldnt want wild rats in my house either. and wouldnt try to play with them outside haha. but telling people theyre gonna catch the plague from them was stupid haha. and i dont know if anybody called in, i listened for like 15 minutes then turned it off when some guy called in and said he works in a lab and when the rats misbehave he picks em up and slings them on the floor, and they would die...they made it into a big joke, so i turned it off. i was gonna call but i was at work and didnt have the #.

people are ignorant haha.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts