Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
I haven't previously owned rats, but I have a deposit on three boys from a breeder that I'm bringing home on the 27th, and have a small question. I have a double critter nation for them, and I want to have a fairly active layout so I would prefer to have the center of the cage taken out and just keep the shelves in, but I was wondering if I should hold off on doing this until the rats are 2-3 months old since they're only going to be 6 weeks old when they first arrive home. Any advice or comments are much appreciated thank you!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Oh my, 6 weeks? That is very young. They will need a safe area where they aren't likely to fall. Keep the shelves and give them good footing, cover any ramps with cloth or fleece. Protect those tiny toes :giggle:

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
6 week old rats are pretty nimble and they'll be just fine in a Critter Nation. If you have a more open layout, you'll want to make sure there's plenty of stuff to catch a clumsy rat's fall!

·
Registered
Hulu, Dibs, Sprout, & Mochi
849 Posts
I agree just put some area hammocks to catch them if they fall! And make sure you have plenty so they wont fall far! A good DIY for those is to get an old sweatshirt, cut off the sleeves and elastic at the bottom and just cut some holes in it to hang it up!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts