Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
I got my first rat not too long ago, and because he is alone, I try to let him roam around as much as possible for stimulation and social activity. My mother has never been too keen on rats from an apparent "Past experience", and it took some convincing for her to let me get the lil' guy.

As Many of you may know, Rats are unbelievably talented at getting into a places you'd rather they didn't. At least mine does. Mother has a zero-tolerance policy on rats being on the kitchen counter and table. I know fancy rats are far more harmless than she thinks they are, but she probably has a point about keeping him away from where we eat.

My question is:
What's the best way to teach my rat to avoid certain surfaces and areas? Especially when those areas contain some tasty people food that he can't keep his hands (paws?) off of?

Thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
U should REALLY get another rat, no matter how much u play with ur little guy, because when ur gone the poor thing will have no one to snuggle with, groom,play and other rattie things. If u can't get another one it would be better to give him/her up. U could always get a playpen for ur rats, and u can move away all the things harmful to ur rat. U can also just play with them in ur room or a bathtub.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Although I would definitely recommend getting a companion for your rat ASAP I would never go as far as to suggest surrendering your rat if it is alone. I have two rats that were bought with the intention of housing together but they cannot get along. So for now, the live separately and although they get bored sometimes this is the best and healthiest option for them at the moment.
As far as your question goes... I'm not sure. I have never had a problem with my rats reaching table tops or counters. Maybe my guys aren't as saucy as yours but mine will barely jump off of the couch or climb up. With that being said, there must be an object that is allowing your rats to reach those heights and get into areas where they do not belong. Possibly a chair or something?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have seen a few posts of yours so I know you have had many people say the same thing but you really should consider getting another rat.

In regards to your question though, simply handle your rat in a different room rather than the kitchen? Is your bedroom suitable for free roam/handling within? My girls are only handled in my bedroom, as it's where I spend most of my time when home and I can ensure it's properly 'rat proof'.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts