Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I'm housing my first two rats in a SCN, and I love it. It's spacious, easy to access everything, and quite sturdy so my cat can paw and sit on it and nobody's really bothered (except for him, when he finally gets nipped, silly boy). But unfortunately I've discovered the downfall of the shallow pan - I started out with fleece and bathtowels, but naturally it turned out I got the girls that will chew up all the corners the night of the cage change, and shred the towels, even with fleece scraps specially for them that blanket on top of the liner. And since I'm not allowed to put pet fabrics in the wash or dryer because of a squeamish parent (who will never budge), hand washing, airdrying, and salvaging scraps is going to be very time consuming, expensive, and pretty much impossible.

I went looking at the Bass pans and decided that were I to get one, I'd want the stainless steel ones but just the one amounts to a whopping $63 for me. Now I'm beginning to regret not just getting a Martin's cage because, well, it's less permanent, great for a young adult like me, lightweight, deep pan for different beddings, so I'm going through my options.

I could get the Bass pan, which will make my total of cage and pan about $190. If I just got the Martin's, it'd just be $171 for the R-695 or a little less for a 680 or 685. On top of that, if I decided to go that route and first have to go back to square one and save up all over again for it, then sell off the CN, I'd need to find a solution for bedding in the meantime because these fabrics will just not air-dry in the cold weather and I've got nowhere indoors where I have space to hang them without parents griping. I only have two females, so I could just go with the 680 or 685 but I'm also conscious of how much I love rodents and wanting to have between 3 or 4 someday in the future.

Any ideas of which route I'd be better off going?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
You can buy something similar to this http://reviews.lowes.com/0534/1226689/reviews.htm basically a mixing tray to fit the cage which is significantly cheaper than the bass pans. The other residents in our house also do not like us washing rat laundry in the communal machine and drier so as a compromise we bought some wash bags that are netted and it prevents anything from getting out. They came in a set of different sizes from amazon and were an inexpensive solution. Maybe that is something you can discuss as an option.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Yeah you can get a cement mixing tray or to use shallow bedding you can buy corrugated plastic (coroplast) and use that by zip tying it around the cage.

Out of curiosity, is it expensive because of where you are? I'm on my phone so I can't see location but there is a Canadian company that sells similar pans to bass co for a similar price but shipping might be cheaper.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh true, never thought of using those before! Kind of takes away the open feel, but definitely a cheaper solution.

Unfortunately my dad just won't have it - he just likes the two worlds separate and pretty much will bleach any and everything that possibly touched anything an animal particle has ever touched. Makes having pets way higher maintenance, but meh.

I think it might be. It's really $43, which would be okay, but with their only shipping option of UPS at $15 additional dollars, it ends up being over $60, and that's not even with PA's sales tax added. Yeesh!

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Is it the more expensive option? I bought a pan for like $20something that was galvanized or something that made it cheaper than the stainless steel option. You just cure it with rustoleoum for a few days until the smell goes away.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, the plain galvanized pan is only $23, I thought I'd read somewhere that it takes longer to cure after painted and I've got no idea how to go about priming and painting. My savvy parent is busy doing a lot of house work for the cold weather so I wasn't sure if I should bother him with it or not.

Odd that Midwest doesn't manufacture their own metal pans by now though? You'd think that'd be a good thing for them to do, rather than leave it to another company.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
You could make your own out of coroplast easily enough, cut a base peice to size, cut sides (i find about 15 - 20cm deep is nice) and stick together with duct tape or another hard wearing tape. For a longer lasting and nicer looking option look into perspex, its a pig to cut out (though over here there are companies that will cut it to size for you) but its very hard wearing and really good. I have a perspex tray in the bottom of my cage and love it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts