Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
crossposted to the health section as well.

Poor Sigmund :(
She has been battling and incredibly persistent case of mites for months. She is constantly scabbed and scratching despite 4 or 5 revolution treatments, a round of doxy, metacam, bedding changes, and cage deep - cleans. The only thing that clears her up even a little is having her back nails clipped as short as possible.

Her beautiful sister Carl was PTS yesterday morning after her tumor just got too big to be manageable anymore. As per the internet's advice, I placed Carl's body in the cage for Sigmund to examine. She sniffed her all up and down, especially in her mouth then stood on Carls face and proceeded to groom herself. I think maybe she knew that if there was any chance my little Carl was napping she would have woken up after that move. After that minute Sigmund crawled up into her hammock and has refused to come out since. Despite being almost unmanageably active for the past several weeks, I have not been able to entice her to move.

She's always been sneezy and sniffly but its amped up since the day before I put Carl down. Yesterday it seemed like Sigmund's nose was running (but it was clear, not porphyrin) and her eyes were quite goopy (also clear).

I can't get another rat. I wanted to see how she did as a solitary girl this week and then if she didn't crash immediately consider rehoming her even though it will be the hardest thing I'll ever do. I'm afraid between the mites and possible myco flare up (she has always had poor health) that might not be realistic.

I just want to know if there is anything I can do to make her more comfortable? Will she just get over this?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
My old lady Zeldais alone now as well. But she is very fragile and over 3 years in age. If her condition was different, I would have gotten her new rats to play with. So I would say that it depends on your rat's health and age as to getting a newcage mate. And barring that, rehoming if she is young enough.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Be sure to spend extra time with her and give her lots of extra love. She'll need it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts